chapter 55

I wake up Friday at twelve in the afternoon. I'm so glad the seniors don't have school today, because Savannah stayed up all night texting me about what the group activity was gonna be today. Every year on the Friday before prom we skipped school and did something together as a group, even though we technically were supposed to be in school.

Freshman year was going to a fair. Sophomore year was going downtown and visiting as many places as we could. And last year was renting out an expensive hotel and spending the night, doing all sorts of fun things only reckless teens should do. And so, she refused to let the tradition die.

She put all of us in a group chat, including the three new recruits, Zay, Ethan, and Roman. Max informed us that his house would be empty today so we were free to meet over there. Then, one thing led to another and boom, we're having a party. To, I quote, celebrate being almost done with this junk hole called high school.

We limited everyone only being able to bring two other people, to keep it close friends only. So Max and Ethan invited two people. Roman wasn't positive if he could come, and Zay and I asked Dasia to tag along. Savannah didn't have anyone else she wanted to bring so we left it at just eleven people.

I lounge around all day until the time of the party comes. After putting on something slightly nice, I ride with Zay and Dasia to the party. But during the entire ride there, I can sense somethings up with him.

"What's up Zay?"

He keeps his eyes forward. "Nothing."

"Really? You've barely said anything and your gripping the steering wheel like it's gonna fall off."

He sighs and parks the car in front of Max's house. "I've never been to a party. Not with humans anyways. I don't know. I feel weird."

"Aw babe, it'll be fine. Don't even think of it as a party. You know almost everyone here, it's just a big hangout session."

"Yeah buck up dude. It'll be fun," Dasia pipes in from the back seat. He gives her a little glare but it disappears when I grab his hand.

"Let's go."

***

We're sat in Max's basement. Music is playing as background noise and I've already visited the snack table multiple times. Max really out did it. There's everything from chips and dip to cupcakes to mini pulled pork sliders.

Savannah is with Max and two girls playing an ultimate game of uno. There are two TVs set up down here, so Ethan is playing some game on Max's Wii with some guys and the rest of us are watching a Disney movie even though we can't hear it.

The doorbell rings and Savannah immediately jumps up. "Ooo the pizza!" she says and bounces up the stairs.

I nudge Zay. "You wanna go play uno?"

"After the movie." he says, highly engrossed in whatever is happening on the screen.

"You're actually watching? How can you tell what they're saying with the music?"

He smirks and gives me a slight squeeze with the arm he has around me. "Super hearing baby."

I look over at Dasia who is passed out on the couch, limbs sprawled everywhere. "Guess you guys can super not hear anything too huh."

Savannah comes back down after a few minutes later. She's carrying two boxes of pizza followed by Roman who is carrying three more. "I brought pizza and Roman!"

"Glad you could make it bro!" Max says. "Enjoy the crib."

Roman says hi to everyone and introduces himself before walking over to the movie squad. "Hey guys." He nods toward Zay and the others in front of the tv. "Hey Amber, hows it going?"

"Good. Didn't think you were gonna show."

He shrugs with a smile. "Last minute decision."  

"Good, you would've missed the best party of the year," I say. It may be a small party, but it's the most important one I've been to.

"You any good at darts?" He asks motioning to the dart board on the far wall.

"No, she's good at watching movies. With me," Zay says.

I ignore him. "Yeah I am, wanna play?"

He looks at Zay, who's probably giving him the death stare, and looks like he's gonna change his mind. I get up before he can. "C'mon lets go."

He follows close behind and we make our way over to the board. Picking up the darts, we start to play. He wins three rounds in a row, even with me trying my hardest. It's obvious he's a pro, so by the fourth round when he misses every shot, I know he's letting me win.

"You playing bad is doing nothing to help me redeem myself you know."

He feigns a look of innocence. "I'm trying I swear! Must be a bad round for me." He winks as he misses yet another dart.

I roll my eyes and take my turn. "So, have you decided if you're gonna go to the dance tomorrow? You already got a ticket right, no point in turning back."

He nods. "That is true. Bought a tux too so there's really no backing out."

"Perfect! Wouldn't have the full crew without you. It'll be a night to remember."

He smiles. "Thanks."

"For what?"

"I don't know. Accepting me. Being my friend. I haven't been able to call any my friend in so long, and I know without you I probably wouldn't be in this group at all. You guys are a great bunch." 

There's a sadness in his eyes that he's not fully letting out, but I respect his boundaries and just nod with a smile. "Of course. Anyone who doesn't want to call you a friend is out of their mind," I say, meaning every word.

 Although I've only known him for a short time, Roman has been kind, funny and sweet. If he had moved to this school at the beginning of the year I'm sure we would have had even more fun. It makes me wonder what his life was like before this though. He seems like the kind of guy who would have loads of friends no matter where he was.

Someone grabs my hand, and I turn to see Zay. I'm not sure how long he was there, but the respectful way he's looking at Roman lets me know he heard what he said. Maybe there's hope for the two of them after all.

"How's the game going?" he asks.

"Very one sided. He didn't care to let me know he's a professional darts player."

"Ah but you didn't ask."

 Zay raises an eyebrow. "Professional you say? I've played darts a few times, let me take a try against you."

Roman seems surprised at Zay's civil conversing but accepts. "Game on. May the best win."

Its an interesting game to watch. Zay is just as good as Roman. I'm on my toes seeing who will win. In the end though, it's a tie. Zay demands a rematch and they're about to start a second game when Max's voice cuts through the noise.

"Here ye, here ye!" he shouts. Everyone quiets down and turn their attention to him. "I'd like everyone to grab a glass and celebrate this fabulous gathering with me. Sparkling grape juice for those of you who don't wanna stay the night and shots for the troopers!"

We're happy to oblige. Zay promises to beat Roman later so we take a break. We each receive our shot glasses and we make our way over to him. Savannah comes with Ethan and we all smile happily at each other. 

 Max tops off the night. "To senior year!" he yells at the top of his lungs.

"To senior year!"