Chapter 13

The Engagement

Francis and Mary are inseparable. Where Mary goes, he goes and what Francis does, she does. Their relationship grew closer and closer as time comes to pass. Today, the royal couple is spending their time boating at the lake. "Mary, what do you wish for?" Francis asks while rowing. "I believe I already have everything that I wished for.  True love, happiness, peace -- all thanks to you." She replies. It is a pleasant day, and for the first time in a long time, they have privacy. "Mary, it occurred to me that our engagement was arranged by our parents, and at that time, we were too young to have a say in the matter... I am just wondering if given the chance, will you disagree?" The prince stopped rowing as they have reached the middle of the lake. "No, I do not have any objections. Why do you ask, my love?" The prince seemed to be relieved by her response. "Well, I need to hear that from you-- because what I am about to ask you now will change our lives forever." Then all of a sudden, Francis presents Mary a ring, much to her surprise! "I would love to be on my knees but we are on a boat. So, I will just bow." He said cheerfully and took her hand. "Mary, Queen of Scots, will you take me, Prince Francis of France as your spouse not because it is your duty, but because you want to?" She remained tongue-tied for a moment as she felt her heart beat faster. She answers "I, Queen Mary of Scots, promise with all my heart that I will love and honor you, and only you --- As my king, as my husband, and as my beloved." Francis then happily place the ring on her left fourth finger and kiss her. They held each other tightly with their eyes close, cherishing this very moment. They opted to stay longer in the lake. Together, they watch as the sun begins to set, and the moon begins to rise. They finally made it together through all the obstacles and hardships of being young royals. Now, their journey together begins.

(Book 2: One True Happiness, the sequel is now available).