Chapter 7

The Sad Reality

Francis can no longer endure the agony of seeing Mary in the arms of another. If only France's borders are not being threatened at the same time with that of Scotland, then Portugal's aid will not be necessary. He knows that she have to spend the festivity tonight with Tomas instead of him; it is her duty to her people and to her country to do so. The french prince cannot help but to see Mary's pain... the pain of having no option. He gives his fiancée a brave smile, trying to spare her from the guilt that she feels for agreeing with such terms. Tomas on the other hand, is using this opportunity to please Mary, attempting to steal her heart. He went as far as organizing grand balls and offering her gifts of gold and of rare jewelries from the New World. His efforts did not seem to please the young queen, for her heart and mind belongs to Francis and to Francis alone. Mary asks to retire after dinner and Tomas, hoping to appease her reluctantly grants her request. Without her knowledge, Francis is waiting inside her chamber.  Mary tearfully runs towards him as soon as she opens the door. "My love, I want you to know that this is not what I want... clearly you know that." She said. "I know, I believe you. We are but the servants of our countries; that is  our sad reality." She raises her hand to touch his face and as her eyes meets his, the young prince feels the sense of assurance that nothing has changed between them.

                                                                                        The Rivalry

Tomas is getting impatient. He's been spending time with Mary day and night, but the queen does not show any interest nor does she try to reciprocate his affection in any way. She may be with him physically, but her mind is clearly occupied by someone else. Tomas is not deterred by her actions; he is willing  to do whatever is necessary to win her heart. A knock at the door interrupts his thoughts. "You may enter." Says Tomas. It is Philip, one of his servants. "Did you find out anything that is useful?" He asked. "Your highness, I do believe that I have the solution to your predicament." The servant replied. "I will be the judge of that." Philip then gives Tomas a piece of paper. "Well done. Now go and make the arrangement on my behalf. No one must know of our plans."

Not a day goes by that Francis have not thought of Mary. He spends the days outside the castle to prevent himself from seeing her with Tomas and the nights drinking wine, hoping to numb himself from his longing. One evening he had too much wine to drink that he passed out. The next day, Francis woke up in his bed with a woman sleeping beside him. The prince jumps off the bed, waking the woman up. "Olivia? What are you doing here?!" "You seem not to be pleased to see me, my dear." She answers as she stands up and starts to kiss him. Francis immediately pushed her away. "That is not how you behaved last night." She says. "Last night? What are you talking about?! What happened last night?!" He exclaimed. "Do you not remember anything? I spent the night in your bed." Olivia tries to kiss him again when the door suddenly opens. "Francis?!" It is Mary! The young queen cannot believe what she had just witnessed! Her fiancé kissing another woman! She immediately runs away making Francis go after her. "Mary! Mary wait!" He shouts. Mary locks her door leaving Francis desperately knocking outside. "Mary! Mary! Please let me in!" "How could you?! How could you?!" Her door remains closed. "I did not do anything Mary! You have to believe me! I beg you, open the door!" Says the pleading prince. "Go away Francis! Leave me! I never wish to speak to you again!" She shouted with a trembling voice.

                                                                                                  Olivia

Olivia is Francis' old flame. She is a noblewoman who spent much of her childhood in the castle. She and the prince undoubtedly had a serious relationship, considering that they grew up together. Olivia just refused a marriage proposal from an eligible nobleman and requested to come back to court hoping to reclaim what she believes to be hers. She is no royalty but nevertheless, extremely wealthy. She can pay the right to be married to a prince of her choosing. She's welcomed at court yesterday while Francis was out hunting. Olivia is aware that Francis has been engaged to Mary since childhood, but that did not stop her from pursuing the young prince. She was able to entice him before, she is well capable of doing it again. However, upon witnessing how Francis genuinely cares for Mary, she realized that winning him back will not be as easy as she thought it would be. It will take more than her talents of scheming to break the bond between them. This young noblewoman clearly  needs an ally to regain Francis' love and affection.