Chapter 5

A day without duties

The next day, Mary woke up seeing a sealed letter left on top of her lamp table near her bed. She excitedly opens the envelope and read its content:

Mary,

I am writing you this letter hoping that you had a good night rest, you will need it. Meet me at the lake.

-Francis.

Her heart jumped! She immediately rise up and runs to  Aylee's door, that is adjacent to her chamber. "Aylee! Aylee! It's Mary, I need your help!" She knocks. Aylee opens her door with her eyes half-close.  "Your Majesty, what is it?" asks the young maiden. "I am sorry to wake you up at this early hour but I urgently need your help. I must choose my best attire; I am meeting Francis today at the lake and I want to look my best." Her excitement woke Aylee up and the two of them hurriedly went back to Mary's chamber to prepare. After a good half hour, the queen is ready to start her day. She walks briskly like a rushing bride who is late for her wedding. She cannot wait to see what the prince is up to. Not long she sees him standing by the lake, throwing stones in the water, perhaps to relieve his boredom from waiting. "Francis!" Mary shouts as she run towards his direction. The prince meets her halfway, then he kisses her. "I read your letter, I came as quickly as I can." She says smilingly. "Wait here!" Says Francis. He runs back to the castle; minutes later he shows up riding a horse. "I want to show you something. We need to ride to get there." Without hesitation Mary mounts the horse with his assistance and away they go. After a while, they arrive in a park near a church ruin where three servants awaits them. "I would like us to have some privacy. I made arrangements for us to enjoy the outdoors today." Says the prince as he assist Mary off the horse. Both sat down at the lawn as the servants unpack their meal. Moments later, one servant shows up carrying a poodle. "She's yours." He said. Mary can't help but show her gratitude by kissing Francis. "Thank you, my love. This is the most amazing day of my life." "We're not done yet." Francis stood up and offered his hand. "Mary, Queen of Scots, will you give me the honor of this dance?" "But there's no music." She replied. "Oh, I almost forgot about that." The prince gives the signal to one of the servants who happened to be skilled in playing the violin. Francis bows as Mary finally stands up. The music started to play and before they know it, they are in each other's arms, dancing. The sun is about to set when they start heading back to the castle. It is early evening when they finally arrived and the banquet is about to begin. The young royals do not have enough time to change for the occasion, so they will show up with their day clothes. "I'm sure that they won't mind; we are allowed to break the rules every ones in a while." Francis whispered to Mary as they enter the great hall.

                                                                                              Tidings

Francis is right, none of the guests inquired as to why they showed up not properly dressed for the banquet. Not even the king bothered to ask. Everyone seem to be enjoying themselves until an unannounced messenger enters running towards the King. The unknown guest whispered something that made Henry immediately stand up and leave. A few moments later, Francis is summoned to go to the council chamber immediately. "I'll be back as soon as the meeting is over." He said. Hours have passed,  the banquet is about to end but Francis and the king have not returned. Queen Catherine then have to give permission for the guests to leave for it is getting really late. Mary started to feel that something is not quite right. An urgent council meeting could mean bad tidings. She left a note at Francis' chamber to pay her a visit as soon as he can. She paces back and forth in her room for a while then the door opens... finally Francis showed up. She could tell that her fiance seemed uneasy about something else. "Mary, England had just attacked the Scottish border. Ten Scottish companies were lost." He said. Mary felt like a knife just pierced her heart. "Francis, what news about my mother?" Mary tries to hold back her tears.  "She was able to seek sanctuary on a church not far from the Scottish court. Do not worry, my love. So long as your mother remains on holy ground, the English cannot harm her." he replied, trying to console her. "And what did France decide to do about this matter?" Asks Mary. Francis bowed his head, trying to find the words. "Mary, the council decided that France needs support from another ally in order to help Scotland. The French border is currently threatened by Italy, Spain, and Germany as we speak. We can send five companies for now, but we will be needing more." "And which country does France consider as its ally?" She asked. "Portugal." He answered. "Tomas, the newly legitimized Portuguese Prince will arrive tomorrow to discuss his country's terms with my father. If everything goes well, we will have more troops to rescue Scotland." He added.

                                                                                          Prince Tomas

Tomas is a tall, dark, and handsome young man. His upbringing is different from that of the royals who are their father's successor. Initially considered an illegitimate son, he was not groomed to be a ruler, unlike Francis. Nevertheless, he has proven himself to be an excellent negotiator. He manage to establish good relations with other countries, like England and France. He is by all accounts charming and witty. The Pope recently approved his legitimacy and is now considered Portugal's future king. With him are six companies, a possible sign that Portugal will aid Scotland provided that a treaty with France will be made. The French royal family together with Mary are anxiously waiting for his arrival at court. A few minutes later, the herald came in. "Presenting, Prince Tomas of Portugal." The foreign prince walks with authority and confidence towards King Henry. "Your Majesties." He bowed. "Prince Tomas, you are welcome here at court." Said King Henry. "This is my son, Prince Francis and his fiancee, Queen Mary Stuart of Scotland." Tomas immediately showed interest in Mary. He held the young queen's hand and kissed it. "Your Majesty, I am sorry about what had happened in Scotland. I assure you that Portugal is you ally." He added. His gestures made Francis extremely jealous. But he knows very well how important this is for Mary. So, he kept his feelings into himself --- at least for now.