Chapter 9

The Hunt

Tomas who is initially an illegitimate son of the King of Portugal, had developed the skill unknown to  royals --the skill of a man ready to do whatever it takes to have what he believes he is entitled to. He spent his entire life gaining his country's approval and his father's confidence; there is nothing and nobody that can go against him. Bash have been carefully tailing him for the past couple of days while discreetly inquiring about his life. He bribes the messengers to hand him Tomas' letters before they are sent. Soon, Bash will unveil the plans of this conniving prince . But these are dangerous times, now more than ever it is crucial to take extreme precaution. "Any news? Did you find any proof?" Francis asks as Bash dismounts from his horse. "Almost. It appears that our ally prince is not who we think he is." He answers. "We must act quickly, every moment that he is here, we risk our suspicions being discovered. The more that we risk Mary's life." Francis says anxiously. "Patience, little brother, patience. All we need is a little more time. For now we must refrain from being seen talking in public." Bash mounts back to his horse. "As soon as I gather everything that we need, I will send you a message from the herald whom I completely trust." He then rode off.

                                                                                                   A Warning

Mary rushed out from the banquet as soon as she received a message from Francis to meet him at the lake. "Francis, what is it?" "Mary, I have a reason to believe that Tomas is a secret ally of England." The queen is skeptical. "Francis, that's a grave accusation. If what you say is true, then why did Tomas agreed to sign a treaty that would help save Scotland from the English? It just does not make any sense?" "Mary, we do not know just yet. Bash is currently seeking inquiry and as soon as we have proof, we will expose him. I urge you to be careful and  not to trust Tomas on anything. Act as if you know nothing." Francis kisses Mary. "I will not allow him or anyone to harm you. I LOVE YOU MARY." They held each other tightly like they did when they reunited.

                                                                                                      His Plan

Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, is the cousin of Queen Elizabeth Tudor of England. The latter remains unmarried and is childless; she has no direct successor. This fact makes Mary the undoubted successor and the next inline to the English throne if Elizabeth, who is a Protestant and whose legitimacy is currently being questioned by her Catholic subjects, falls ill or meets an untimely death. England and Scotland have a long history of wars. The Englishmen who are loyal to their current ruler are prepared to do everything that is necessary to prevent a Scottish Queen from ascending to the throne. Bash hurriedly enters Francis' chamber and with him some news. "Francis, Tomas is worse than we thought. He is playing both cards;  both cards of England and France. I intercepted his letters to Elizabeth pledging his allegiance to her, and also his letters to his father, The King of Portugal. His letters to his father clearly indicate that the sole purpose of entering a treaty with France is to get close to Mary. With the disturbance in the Scottish border, Tomas offered his services in an attempt to entice Mary into marriage. If he succeeds, Tomas have a justified cause of invading England ones he is king or if an unfortunate event befalls Queen Elizabeth." "Why then did Thomas pledge his allegiance to England?" Francis asks . Bash answers, "To buy himself time, time to woo Mary... His letters contained his specific plan to accomplish just that. It is Tomas who urged the English to cause the Scottish border a scare during the time when France is having trouble with its own borders. Our father, King Henry, had no choice but to ask for Portugal's assistance. Tomas made Elizabeth believe that when Mary becomes his queen, she will no longer be a threat to her since Portugal is her ally. Little do the English know that Tomas is using their support for his own benefit." With the information at hand, Francis sends the fastest rider to send a message to Queen Elizabeth regarding Tomas' treachery. Both brothers seek a private audience with the King. Henry urged his sons to remain discreet while they await for England's answer. "Francis, keep Mary safe. Do not let her out of your sight. I strongly suggest that you join her tonight at her chamber... I trust that you will respect her honor." The King commands. "Father, she is my fiancée. I will not do anything that will dishonor her." Francis answers as he proceeds to Mary's chamber.