Chapter 3

His Eyes

Francis and Mary's archery lesson is interrupted the moment Bash shows up with Natalia. The prince is caught off guard and Mary is responsible for it. Through his eyes, the queen had a glimpse of his vulnerability; she is his Achilles heel. This cannot happen, especially now that rumors are spreading at French court that English troops are soon to attack the Scottish border. As the future king, he will get involve in his father's council to discuss the degree of France's involvement when the attack happens. He cannot and will not allow his stand in the matter to be influenced by a "simple infatuation" with the Scottish Queen, even if she happens to be his fianceé. Natalia's presence pulled Francis back to reality; the reality that love is irrelevant for someone like him, a royalty. With Natalia, no commitment is necessary,  no emotions are involve. Therefore, there will be no pain. "No, not at all Bash, I was just showing Mary how to shoot an arrow." Says the prince, as he let go of Mary's hand, breaking their eye contact. "I see that was the case." Bash replied, giving his brother a wink. "Oh, where are my manners, your majesty this is Lady Natalia, a friend of mine." Bash added. The truth is, Bash rarely talks to Natalia. But he have to save his brother from this awkward situation. "Lady Natalia." Mary acknowledged the young maiden. "Your Majesty." She curtsied. "Well, we must be going for I am extremely exhausted and hungry from the hunt. Lady Natalia, shall we?" Bash then offers his hand, which she accepts, and the two walk away. Francis and Mary are left alone trying to figure out who should speak first. "Well Mary, I must be going too... It is almost midday and I have to prepare myself for the council meeting." He said. "Yes of course. Your presence is highly needed while the council discuss important matters of our countries." She replied. Francis walks away fighting the urge to look back and the need to see her pretty face.

                                                                                           Sense of Denial

Francis sees Natalia sitting in his bed as soon as he opens the door. The guards are not at their post since he spent half of the day outside the castle. "Natalia, what are you doing here?" The young maiden stood up and started to walk towards him. "What do you think?" She begins to take off his jacket and unbutton his shirt. "Not today." Says the prince, gently pushing her hands away. "What's the matter?!" she asked with a strong tone. "Francis, you have not sent for me last night! I was waiting until dawn. I tried to gain access to your chamber but your guards told me that you don't want to be disturbed by anyone!" "Natalia please don't start. I have a lot of important things to attend to." He said. "Important things like Mary?! I admit I feel jealous especially when I saw the way you looked at her today." "What do you mean?!" Francis asked as he is obviously starting to get upset. "The way you looked at her is different from the way you look at me! I felt the warmth and longing in your eyes for her!" Natalia started to break into tears. "Stop it! Stop this nonsense!" he exclaimed. "My life belongs to France and to my people! It does not belong to you or to anyone else!" Then an awkward silence. "Your highness, I might be a fool hoping that what we have was something special, but I am not blind! I thank you for the time you spent with me; you can rely on my discretion." She bravely curtsied and runs away while wiping off her tears, leaving the angry prince alone and closing the door behind her.

                                                                                             After Dinner

It is custom for the entire royal family to be present during dinner time. Everyone is expected to show up and spend the early evening chatting with the nobles while feasting upon the best meal of France. King Henry and Queen Catherine are sitting on the throne while the rest of the royals and few selected guests are comfortably situated. Francis and Mary as expected are sitting together in their own table. They both requested to be joined by Lola, Greer, Kenna, Aylee, Bash and Prince Charles, Francis' younger brother. Everyone's engage to their individual conversation, with Bash using flattery to make the ladies blush. "Is it always this grand? I mean, the court life?" Mary whispers on Francis' ear. "If you are referring to the daily social gatherings such as this, then yes." He answers. "Forgive me, for I am used to the simple meals at the convent. The nuns taught me how to live an ordinary life." Says Mary. Francis smiles as he tries to imagine himself if he can survive outside the castle walls, like Mary did. After dinner, wine is served. They all had a glass of wine, nothing more. But the prince opted to consume about two full bottles all by himself that is a huge amount considering he's not accustomed to drinking. Seeing his brother's status, Bash ordered the servers to stop giving wine at their table or else Francis will end up lying on the floor, or worse throw up. Bash, with persistence convinces Francis to retire accompanying  him to his chamber. Anxious Mary follows and helps Bash to lay the prince to his bed. "I will be right back, we need warm water to wash his face." Bash runs leaving Mary with the semi-awake prince. He tried to open his eyes, got up and fell back at the bed. "Francis, you must rest. You drank more than you can handle." Mary insists, clearly expressing her concern. Francis with his eyes half closed whispers, "Mary... Mary... Is that you?" He then gradually sat himself up and proceeded to touch her face with his hand. He started caressing her neck, used both hands touching her shoulders, then down to her hips,  pulling her closely. "Francis, what ---" Mary's sentence is interrupted as he pressed his lips on her lips.