Chapter 11

The Promise

Days come to pass and Mary's life remains in grave danger. King Henry and his sons were able to uncover Tomas' plot, but considering that the massive Portuguese army took camp on France's borders in fulfillment of the treaty, they cannot risk exposing Tomas as he is without England's help. There has been no confirmation that Elizabeth had received the message sent by Francis, warning her about Portugal's treachery. If they confront Tomas too soon, his armies can lay siege, thus, endangering all their lives. They have to remain cautious, for it is most likely that Tomas will not act upon his plan by himself. He has an accomplice... someone who has power at French court; a traitor lurking among them. Francis have never left Mary's side. He knows that Tomas may be one step ahead and that he may already be aware that his plans will soon unravel. "Francis, I wish that things are simpler." Mary whispers as they both sit at the park near the church ruins, where they spent their first date. She rested her head on his shoulder. "Mary, if things are simpler, chances are, you are not with me right now. I would gladly endure a convoluted life than to spend my days without you." The prince answers as he kiss her forehead. "My love, promise me that if anything happens to me, you will move on and start a new life with another." Francis looked at her worriedly. "Mary, do not talk of such things. Soon, this will all be over... And you and I are going to be wed. I beg you not to say that again, for a life without you is not a life I ever wish to live!" He takes her hand and kiss it.  Ever since Mary was born, she has been facing threats. Her blood ties with Elizabeth marked her as England's loaded enemy.  She grew up accepting the fact that each day that she lives is a blessing; that a plot against her life did not push through because of sheer luck. Ironically, the source of her life's misery is now the hope of her salvation. One word from her cousin will shift things on her favor. They have to hope for the best.

                                                                                               Treason

Meanwhile at court, Henry and Bash anxiously plans for a battle strategy  supposedly Tomas will give orders for his armies to attack. They already send messengers to each of the French generals discreetly, warning them of a pending invasion from the Portuguese army, who is initially their ally. Portugal's companies outnumbers France's two to one. "Bash, I command you to safeguard the rest of the royal family in case we are defeated. Take the fastest horses and ride as far away as possible... as far as England." Says Henry as he gives Bash a sealed letter. "This letter will explain to Queen Elizabeth everything that she has to know... And with it my request for your safe passage to her domain." He sighs. "Father, it is not over yet... Please, do not be in despair." Bash says tearfully. "My son, we must prepare for the worst. Our enemies will show no mercy ones France's central power falls." Bash gives his father a hug -- A hug that is long overdue.

Suddenly, two royal guards arrive and with them is the Lady Olivia. "What is this?" Asks the King. "Your Majesty, we intercepted this woman who is about to board a ship bound to Portugal. A lady of her status conspicuously sailing on a conventional ship made us suspicious. We questioned her and find this letter on her possession." One of the guards explained as he handed the letter to Henry. He cannot believe what the letter contains. It is a letter from Tomas, asking for his father to send more armies to the French border and his reason: To secure a definite victory in invading France in order to get hold of Queen Mary! "Lady Olivia, you are hereby charge of high treason! You are strip-off of your title, properties, and your right as a noble! I, King Henry of France, order you to be escorted to the tower and there you shall remain until a trial takes place to prove your innocence!" Olivia doesn't seem to care. "Do your worse, your Majesty! It already has begun. With or without Portugal's reinforcements, that Scottish Queen is as good as dead! Tomas will not allow anyone to have her!" She exclaimed as the guards took her away. Henry immediately orders Bash to locate Francis and Mary. "Do not allow Tomas near Mary!" Says the King as Bash and a couple of royal guards take their leave.

                                                                                           The Duel

Francis drew his sword as soon as he saw Tomas approaching. He ordered Mary to stand aside as the Portuguese prince dismounted from his horse. "This ends today!" Tomas exclaims as he draws his sword and attack Francis! Both men are keeping their balance, successfully avoiding each other's strike. Moments later, Francis appears to be having the upper hand while Tomas is charging recklessly. The former dodge all Tomas attempt for a fatal strike. For Mary, witnessing Francis dueling with Tomas is dreadful! All she can do is pray for her fiance to win. Thankfully, Bash shows up with the royal guards! "Stop! Stop!" he yelled. He immediately ordered the guards to seize Tomas, who now have suffered multiple strikes. "It is over Francis! It is over!" Bash said as he took the sword from Francis. Unexpectedly, Tomas overpowers the guards holding him down and then he draws out a knife as he approaches Francis! Upon seeing this Mary immediately rush towards Francis making her the victim of Tomas' knife! "No! No! No!" Francis exclaims as Mary falls into his arms. Bash immediately strikes Tomas! Killing him instantly! "Mary! Mary! Please!" Francis cries out loud as he desperately tries to make her keep her eyes open.