Chapter 6

Spite

It has been days since Tomas' arrival. Council meetings have been held on a daily basis yet King Henry, Francis, Tomas and the rest of the council members are in no way close into having a resolution regarding Scotland's plight. This made Mary terribly worried. The more time they spend inside the council chamber, the more time that the English troops advance and the closer they are in invading Scotland. More lives will be lost. As the Queen of Scots, Mary knows that they must act quickly. If Portugal and France cannot have an agreement soon, she may not have a country left to save;  she may end up losing everything!  Her throne, her people, and her identity. "What news?" Mary asked Francis anxiously as he came out of the council chamber. "No news yet, but believe me that we are doing the best that we can to gain Portugal's support." He replied. "Francis, what seems to be preventing Tomas from signing the treaty? He said it himself that he is in our side... So why the wait?!" "There are matters that needs further discussion. Portugal would like to have French territories in return for its support. My father does not agree." The prince tries to explain. "Is there anything that I can do to help? Forgive me my love but time is running out! My patience is running out!" Mary exclaimed as she started to cry. It hurts Francis to see her this way. He can feel her desperation as he hold her close, trying to reassure her that all will be well. They are unaware that Tomas is standing not far from where they are; he heard their entire conversation. There's something about how this Portuguese prince looks at Mary. He despises the fact that Francis is the one holding her and not him. After a while, the meeting resumed, still with no progress. All the council members had left the chamber except King Henry and Tomas. Perhaps if these two powerful men will discuss the matter between them, then Scotland will finally have the support it desperately needs.

                                                                                              His Terms

The next day, Francis left his chamber early to engage in an archery game with Bash. He sent a note at Mary's door letting her know of his activity and promised her that it will be a short game, considering that Bash's archery skills are more refined than his'. He plans to take Mary out for a horse ride in the village hoping it will temporarily divert her attention away from Scotland's plight. He is about to mount his horse when one of the royal guards showed up with a sealed letter; the king commands him to immediately proceed to the council chamber which he did.  Much to his surprise , Francis sees only King Henry and Tomas waiting for him, the other council members are not present. "Francis, close the door." Says Henry. "You called for me, father?" He curiously asked. "Yes I did." The king seems to be trying to find the right words to say. "Francis, Prince Tomas and I have come into agreement that Portugal will provide aid, six Portuguese companies are leaving today for Scotland. Tomas assures us that more armies will come to help both Scotland and France during these difficult times." "Well that's good news! I cannot wait to tell Mary!" The prince felt relieved that his fiancee's ordeal is almost over. He was about to leave when the King said, "Wait! There are terms that you must know." "Terms? What terms?" He asked. Tomas then stood up and said, "I have agreed to give you troops on the condition that I will be allowed to freely express my intentions to Queen Mary." He burst into anger! "Queen Mary Stuart is my fiancee! She is not just an alliance! How dare you speak of such terms!" He exclaimed. "Francis! Control yourself!" Henry said in a commanding tone. "And you agreed with this father?!" Francis is furious. "As the King, I have to do what is best for France and also for Scotland. Prince Tomas is only asking for a chance to vie for Mary's affection; this treaty will not end your engagement with Mary."  "Is that supposed to make things better?!" Did you even bother asking Mary if she agrees?!" Asks the enraged prince. "Yes we did!" Henry exclaimed. "Mary knows that as Queen, she is duty bound to do whatever it takes for her country's sake!" Francis suddenly felt numbed; he felt like a sword just strike him on the chest... piercing his heart.