Chapter 12

The Last Kiss

Francis instantaneously carries Mary and with Bash's help mounts the horse hugging her close as they rush towards the castle. "Mary hold on! You are not leaving me! I command you as your future King not to let go! Stay with me!" Says the frantic prince. He can feel her blood dripping from her back where Tomas' knife had pierced her;  he can feel as her heartbeat becomes slower and fainter by the minute. Bash who is riding behind them is fearful that she may not make it. As soon as they reach the castle, Bash immediately goes inside yelling, "Somebody go fetch the physician! Fetch the physician!" The guards help Francis lift Mary off the horse. Covered in blood, the prince swiftly carried Mary to her chamber. He laid her on the bed and felt her chest for any sign of breathing. "Mary, you cannot do this to me! Breathe my love, just breathe!" The prince exclaims as he clearly sees the light fading from her eyes. The physician finally arrives with Bash and Henry. The King has to pull Francis away from the bed to let the physician pass. He hugged the young prince, who at this point is inconsolable. "Hurry! I need warm water now!" Says the physician to his assistant. "Her wound is deep. I have to suture it now!" The physician explained. "Francis, we must go outside. Let the physician do his work." Says Henry. Hours pass by and the physician has yet to come out from the young Queen's chamber. Francis cannot help but to let his tears fall. He cannot bear the thought of her gone.... Not now... Now that they are so close to being together. He can only see himself with her... He can only be the best King with her by his side... He can only see her as the mother of his children. Then the door finally opens. The prince rushed to the physician. "I was able to close the wound but she lost a lot of blood. She will remain unconscious for a day or two. If she does not wake up by then..." the physician stopped, seeing that Francis understood what he's trying to tell him. "I did everything I can possibly do. I will remain on her chamber to watch her closely." The physician said. "May I see her?" Francis asks.  "You may for a moment. She needs rest." The physician replied. As the prince approach her bed, he remembered the woman whom he first saw gliding at the court room, smiling at him. He knew from that moment that he already love her. He then sits beside her resting body,  place her hand on his cheek and kiss it as he begins to sob. "I love you Mary... I love you." He whispers.

                                                                                 The Resolution

A message from Elizabeth finally arrived the next morning. She stated that she will be forever thankful to France and to Scotland for unveiling Tomas' deceitfulness. The English Queen ordered her armies to cease their attack to the Scottish border and she had sent troops to aid in defending France against the Portuguese army. Without Tomas as their leader, Portugal's army scattered at the battlefield and was easily defeated, forcing them to retreat afterwards. Portugal is now disgraced and with no ally. England, France, and Scotland are finally at peace.

Inside the queen's chamber sits Francis, patiently reading stories to Mary. He read and read, hoping that his voice will finally wake her up from her sleep. He also told Mary the good news -- the good news that she can now live freely, without being fearful of the English. He urges her to hurry up and open her eyes, for he is now starting to miss her more by the minute. Hours pass by, as the prince spends his time hoping for her return. Mary, in her deepest being felt the need to come back... To try to fight her need to remain at rest. She then searched her innermost core and there, she found her beloved Francis, beseeching her to stay. The queen slowly opens her eyes, seeing the daylight. As her eyes wander around she sees him sitting on a chair, right next to her bed, with his eyes closed. "Francis... Francis..." She calls with a weak voice. The prince immediately wakes up. He goes to the bed hugging her so tightly, kissing her and with a smile he says, "Promise that you will not do this to me again."