Chapter 8

Kisses

It has been days since Mary was last seen in public. She confined herself inside her chamber and refused to accept any visitors except her personal servants. The court is beginning to speculate about the Scottish queen's welfare. Some think that she is gravely ill, while others assume that she might have gone completely mad. Only Francis knows the truth, the truth that his fiancée is suffering from a broken heart... And that he is the unwilling cause. He's been spending the days pacing back and forth outside Mary's chamber, patiently waiting for her to open the door. He hopes to catch a glimpse of her when the servants come out after fulfilling their tasks. Mary is aware that the prince has been waiting outside all this time. She knows that he too is in anguish. She finally found the courage and strength to open the door. Francis immediately comes in and kisses her all so passionately. Tears start to run down on her cheeks, but her fear of losing him to another is all but in the past. His kiss gave her the confidence that whatever she had witnessed that day is of no important matter; that he belongs to her and to her alone. "Mary... My sweet Mary." The prince whispers as he continues to shower her with kisses. "Believe me that I never wanted to cause you any pain. I would rather be the one to suffer, than to see you in this state." He adds. They embraced each other so tightly that they can feel each other's heartbeat. Unbeknownst to them is Olivia witnessing their heartfelt reunion. She cannot bear the simple truth that Francis is no longer hers. She though, will not give him up without a fight. Now more than ever she is more determined to act quickly to weaken their bond and to ruin their union once and for all.

                                                                                          The Deal

"It seems like we share a common plight." Says Olivia as she sits beside Tomas near the lake. It appears that they are well-acquainted with one another. "Yes I believe we do." He replied. She takes out a tiny vessel of some sort and gives it to Tomas. "Use this and you will get what you desire." "Madame, I am not sure if you are aware that I am now royalty. To take a woman's chastity without her consent will ruin my standing as the future king of Portugal." Tomas returns the vessel to her. "So what is your proposition? It turns out, your plan of unveiling Francis as an "unfaithful" fiancé did not break them apart. What do you have in mind?" Olivia curiously asks. "I was on the impression that the threat on Scotland's border was the perfect opportunity to end the French-Scottish alliance. It turns out, I was mistaken. If anything, Scotland's plight made the alliance stronger because now we know that Francis and Mary cannot be easily separated." He replies. "So now what? Are we just going to sit here and wait for them to be wed? For a man of your status, I was expecting more." "Do not despair Madame, I assure you that their reunion is going to be short lived. Till then, do not speak of this to anyone." Tomas says as he stands up and walks away.

                                                                                               Rumors

Francis and Bash are engage on their morning routine of archery and swordplay. They share the same curiosity and interest although Bash is more acquainted with the unconventional ways of the court life. "So little brother, I understand that you have been reinstated to Mary's affection." Bash teases. "What do you mean reinstated? I always had Mary's affection." Francis humorously replies as he prepares to aim for the target. "Well, I am happy for the both of you." Says Bash. Then he resumes to speak. "Francis, I believe there is something that you must be aware of." "What is it?" asks Francis. "There are rumors spreading at court, rumors regarding Tomas' real allegiance." Francis stops aiming and looks at his brother with sincere curiosity. "People are saying that he is secretly England's ally." "Bash, who told you? Is our father aware of this? Because if what you say is true, then Mary's life is in grave danger!" Says the prince. "Francis, first we need find proof of his treachery, then in all confidence we will tell father. We cannot risk breaking a treaty based on rumors alone." Bash replies .