Chapter 10

THIS IS NOT THE FINALE

                                                                            One True Love, A single shot

Mary is surprised to hear a knock at her door at this time of the night. "Mary, it is I, may I come in?"  "You may." Francis enters with a smile on his face. "So my love, what brings you to my chamber? Is there news about Tomas?" She asks. "Yes. Apparently, he went to all these trouble to usurp my fiancée." He answers. Mary does not seem to know how to respond to his statement. Francis adds,  "Mary, he's here to vie for your affection in hope that it will lead to marriage. Thru you, Tomas will establish claim to the English throne... He will be the king of Portugal, Scotland, and if successful, England. He aims to become the most powerful man in Europe." Mary is astounded; she cannot believe how devious Tomas really is. Francis reassures her. "I sent a message to your cousin, Queen Elizabeth. I am confident that we will hear from her soon." He takes off his jacket and his shirt. "Francis, what are you doing?!" Mary exclaimed. "What do you think? I am preparing to retire. You need not worry, I will sleep on the floor. I have been ordered by my father to keep you safe." He says teasingly. "Well then, if it is the King's command, then we both have to abide." Says Mary. Both of them settled in with Mary on her bed and Francis on the floor. A few moments later...  "Mary, are you awake?" "I am. I still can't believe you're here with me tonight." Mary answers as she lifts her head to see the young prince. Francis stood up, sat beside Mary, kissed her and said, "Tomas can never make you his because I am your one true love, and you are my one true love."