Chapter Three

Mirrors are Illusions

I stood in front of the mirror staring at my fresh bruises all over my body. Oh great another thing to be insecure about. My father was never like this before. Once upon a time we were happy. We did not have everything we wanted but we got through it, together as a family. But unfortunately the street life sucked the bliss out of my family. Once my parents got into drugs they couldn't even hold down a job.

I was really smart in high school. Some may even call me a nerd, and I got a full four year scholarship to Brown. But after collage is when my parents lives spiraled out of control, and I had to come back home and tend to them. Since i had a scholarship I decided to use the money I saved for law school, but plans changed when my father used it for drugs and gambled the rest away. So that's why I'm stuck here. I'm 23 and I don't know what the heck to do with my life.

I get ready for work, and make sure to cover up as much as I could to hide my bruises. It's not the first time it's happen so I know what to do. I manage to cover up the majority of the purple marks but I don't know how to cover my black eye.

I could just say I got into a fight.
Or maybe I ran into someones fist.
Or maybe I accidentally hit myself (it's possible)

I try to think of any excuse that was believable. I know that Kelsey will ask what happened. I wish I could afford makeup, but according to my wallet, that's not going to happen. I walk passed my parents room, but only to be stopped by my father. I'm surprised he's even home. He takes a good look at me and frowns, knowing that he was the cause of my face.

"You know I never meant to hurt you right" he tells me, but that's what he always said "I will never do that to you again. I'm going to change my ways Taylor" another thing he always said. Once I'm tired of his lies I walk away and out the door I went without even saying one word to him. It's was an endless cycle with my parents that I don't want to be apart of. I don't allow myself to believe their empty promises because it leaves me upset and disappointed. It not fair for them to give me false hope, but they do.

I do my daily snatch and grab at the fountain and catch the bus. Once I'm at work I quickly punch in and grab my cart, but only to be caught by Kelsey.

Shit. I knew it.

"Wtf Taylor! What happened to your face" she grabs my face and takes a closer look. Her proximity allows me to breath in her vanilla scent. She smelled so good.

"I got into a fight" I lied " you should see the other girl" another lie. She obviously didn't buy it and gave me one of her looks. We continue to have our silent conversation until she finally gives up. Deep down I believe Kelsey knows what's going on and just wants me to admit it to her, but again she knows it's not something I like to talk about.

I would asked her for some makeup but her light mixed skin will never blend in with my Moche one. After our hugs, goodbyes, and planning a sleepover at her house I leave to start work. I feel a tap on my shoulders and I turn around to see the one and only.

Brandon Wong

He's taken back by my face and looks at me for a moment.

"Could you stop staring at me" I tell him. Although I tell him this I give myself the opportunity to look at him. He's not wearing the regular maid uniforms but his own clothes. He's wearing black joggers with a shirt to match, and white air forces. It's casual but kinda hot too.

Wtf did I just say that?

"What happened to your face?" He questions. "Like come on Taylor your already physically challenged, a black eye is just making it worse" he smirks at his own comment and looks at my black eye closely witch made me self conscious. Did he have to call me ugly, that was really mean. I walked away from him with a frown on my face. He took it to far. I am not physically challenged.

Am I?

Brandon runs up to me and grabs my wrist giving me a slight zap on my hand. The same feeling that occurred last time we touched.

Why does that keep happening?

"Hey, Taylor I was just joking" he reassures me. I don't buy it though. He obviously meant it. The atmosphere becomes tense and hard to breath. I feel tears fighting to escape my eyes. I was just an ugly poor girl.

I wasn't really crying over he's stupid obnoxious comment, it was my life. It sucks. I work hard everyday for people who will never quit and turn there lives around. I have to steal money from a wishing fountain everyday just to afford a bus ride. I continue to try and pay the bills but all I get in return are beatings and neglect from my parents. This isn't how my life was supposed to be. I was supposed to be in law school and following my dreams. I'm only 23 I can't handle all this shit on a daily day basis. I'm tired and all I want to do is sleep. I fight so hard for the tears not to fall. I wouldn't let myself cry in front of Brandon.

He grabs me and drags me to one of the rooms that we were supposed to be cleaning right now. Once were in he drags me in front of a mirror.

"What do u see?" He asked me. I did what I was told and took a look in the mirror. But I also didn't get the point he was trying to make though.

"I see a Jackie Chan look alike" I said just to piss him off.

"First of all I'm Korean, and second that's not what I meant. What do you see about yourself?" He says. I take another look at the mirror and this time and pay attention to every inch and pore of my skin. I try to analyze it but I still didn't know what kind of answer he was looking for.

"I see an ok looking girl with a black eye" I say bluntly. What else did he want?

"That's weird because I see a beautiful girl who's fighting the world until she gets what she wants" he says. He's standing behind me and looking at me through the mirror.

"I thought I was physically challenged" I said with a smile which he returns. I think this is the first time I've actually seen him truly smile and not have a stupid smirk on his face.

"I didn't mean it. Look Taylor, I may not know you that well but you work everyday, and your eyes contain pain and sorrow." He sounds so genuine. I'm shocked actually. He's been I jerk to me this whole time but he actually manage to say something nice for once.

"What was the whole point of this exercise?" I questioned

"It was to show that mirrors are illusions. what you see is not necessarily what is really there, It's just your perspective on yourself. Also there's so many hidden messages hidden in a mirror. You gave a basic answer that many fall victim to, but the real message is closer" my jaw hung open at his response. I can't believe that came out of his mouth.

"How do u find the right message and not just your perspective ?" Enjoying our conversation I decide to continue it by asking another question. He turns me around to face him.

"You can't, someone else has to. A persons perspective is too bias and subjective to find the true message beyond the mirror's illusions." He says with a tight smile. I'm shocked that we actually had a decent conversation that didn't include us making snarky comments at each other. Maybe this convo is what we needed to move passed our differences and actually becomes friends.

"Can your annoying black ass hurry up we have work to do." He yells while he walks away from me.

I guess I spoke to soon. He's back.

⚫️vote
⚫️comment