Chapter one

Taylor the Mentor

*crunch crunch*
My jaw is really sore from trying to break down my moms cooking. Like really mother what are you feeding me? I close my eyes and pretend I'm eating scrambled eggs with bacon. I wash whatever it was down with tap water, since that was all we had to drink. If you haven't guess it yet were poor.

My parents are both addicts who would rather spend money on booze and drugs than bills. And speaking of I glare at the huge stack of them on the kitchen table. The only money coming in is my paycheck. I've been working at the Grand Malibu Hotel for six years, and it pays well I guess but definitely not enough to make deadlines.
I rush to my room to get ready for my shift. On the way I ignore my mother's cries when I pass her room.

Everyday my parents get into a fight over nothing , and he beats her than leaves. He usually then comes back at night with a dime bag for the both of them. I guess bringing back drugs to satisfy their tolerance was his way to apologize to her. In the beginning I would be her shoulder to cry on but now it's too tiring and frustrating to keep up with there meaningless cycle.

Once I'm finished I head for the door but only to be stopped by my mom. She calls out for my name and I have no choice but to answer.
"Yes, mother" I guide my way to her room and stop at the doorframe.

She looks at me with wide eyes. She was so beautiful once. Short brown hair that land on her shoulders and piercing chocolate eyes, but now she looks like a zombie in a bath robe. Drugs sucked all the life out of her and my father.
"Can I have some money?" I knew she was going to ask that. There was no 'have a great day honey' or 'good luck at work' I know I should get used to it, but I can't help wanting compassion from both of my parents.
To be honest there's no money to give. I can't even afford the bus that I'm about to take for work. Even if I did have it, she would only go to her drug dealer and get more drugs.

She constantly sniffs while waiting for my answer. It breaks my heart seeing her like this.

"No mom I don't have any" I say to her in all honestly.

"Are you sure? Not even one dollar. I promise I'll pay you back" another thing she always says. But they were all just empty promises.

"No mom. I don't have anything" I walk away before my emotions get the best of me. I didn't want to cry in front of her.
I leave the apartment and walk pass the wishing fountain. I casually sit on the side and reach into it for coins. Once I was able to snatch a couple quarters I rush to catch the bus. I know it's pathetic to steal coins from a fountain but I don't have the money everyday to pay for the bus, and it was way to long of a walk to the hotel.

The bus ride was short and I was finally at work. The Hotel was literally the only escape I got from my terrible life. Yes, I had to work hard but it was the only place to get some peace. Plus the hotel was beautiful and popular. It was the place that many important and rich people stayed at, witch was good because rich people give great tips. I worked as a maid and picked up waitressing shifts at the Hotel restaurant. Working both jobs could sometimes catch up to me and be difficult, but again I needed the money. I grab the cart that held all the hotel room stuff and got to work.

******

Hours have passed and I'm half way done with my shift, but I have the waitress shift after. My days are long and tiresome but it's the only way for my family to not get evicted.