One // The Talent Show

Start from the beginning

"If I was an old-school fifty pound boom box, remember them? Would you hold me on your shoulder wherever you walk. Would you turn my volume up in front of the cops, and crank it higher every time they told you to stop. And all I ask is that you don't get mad at me, when you have to purchase mad D batteries. Appreciate every mix tape your friends make. You never know we come and go like on the interstate.

"I think I finally found a note to make you understand, if you can hit it, sing along and take me by the hand. Just keep me stuck inside your hear, like your favorite tune. You know my heart's a stereo that only plays for you." I sang.

"I only pray you'll never leave me behind, because good music can be so hard to find. I take your head and hold it closer to mine, thought love was dead, but now you're changing my mind." I sang, holding on the long note for 'mind'. The entire student body erupted in applause.

I finished the song with a smile on my face and took a bow as the clapping died down, just as every other contestant did. Then I made my way off the stage and straight into Natalie's arms. She was laughing as she hugged me, though pulled away after a few short seconds. "You were great. That was amazing. I wish I could sing like you." She said.

"Thanks Nat, that means so much." I smiled, hugging her tightly again.

"Uh oh," Natalie said, "Here we go." She whispered as she pulled away from the hug. She nodded her head forward and I turned around to look behind me. Haley was walking towards us, her nose stuck up like always. I sighed and stepped back to stand next to Natalie.

Once Haley stood in front of us, she slowly looked me up and down before making a face of disgust. I held Natalie back as she took a step forward, telling her that it wasn't worth it. Haley just smirked and shook her head. "Having Natalie fight your battles, Elizabeth?" She sneered. She refused to call me by Liz, like most people do. Ever since she discovered that I hate my full name she's called me that. You'd think it was a cheap shot but it was infuriating.

"What do you want Haley?" I asked.

"I just wanted to tell you that I find it very endearing that you went up there looking like that. Especially since well, skinny jeans really aren't meant for people of your size." She said. My eyes narrowed at her and I self consciously set my hands on my hips. I was never one to be insecure over my weight, at least when I was in junior high. I considered myself that perfect in between state. A flat stomach with thighs that touched. With the thigh gap that Haley sported it was easy to see why she would make fun of people who didn't have one.

"Back off Haley, can't you just lose gracefully." Natalie said, protective as ever.

"We'll just see who wins when Mrs. Greene announces it." Haley said. I faked a smile and nodded my head in a way that told Haley that I hated her. She just rolled her eyes and walked away, back to where her 'friends' were waiting for her. I sighed loudly but tried to shake her negativity away from me.

As we waited for the judges - the school's chorus teacher, band teacher, and the assistant principle - to discuss to the winner of the talent show, Natalie and I spent the time talking. Our conversation mostly concerned the boy band that had taken over social media, including all my Tumblr blogs. Though it was a plus for us, being that we were both big fans of the band. Eventually we heard Mrs. Greene announcing the three finalists. My name was called and I let out a girly squeal while Natalie gave me a pointed look. I laughed as she shoved me, telling me to go up on stage.

Haley was up there, as well as a freshman who was having her luck in a senior dominated talent show. We waited in a straight line as Mrs. Greene talked about how all three of us tried our best on stage tonight. I was growing nervous, knowing that Haley was stiff competition. Mrs. Greene announced that the freshman, Sophie, had come in third place. I felt so bad for her, but there really was nothing that I could do about it.