CHAPTER 31 (Travis)

Start from the beginning

I didn't bother knocking, I just used the code and went on in. I could hear the television and laughter in the media room. I walked through the the foyer and headed straight for the noise.

De was on the sofa with a glass of wine in her hand, telling another girl who sat across from her about something that was apparently hilarious. I didn't see De as the funny type. Or a good story teller.

Her eyes met mine, and she jolted right before the anger flashed in her eyes.

"You can't just barge into my house like this, Travis. I'm calling the cops." She snapped.

"Please do. I'll just call out father and let him deal with them, since this is his house. He's let me know more than once that I'm welcome to use it whenever I want to."

Just like I knew they would, my words stopped her cold. She hated any reason to involve Jako in her life. And she also knew I was right. This wasn't her house. She didn't pay for it or one damn thing in it. I found out that last but when I called Jako while waiting for my flight. He laid for the house to come furnished. The mirror wasn't even something she'd even bought. Bitch.
Mean bitch.

"I can't believe you're here because of her. She was my housecleaner Travis. Surely you can to better than that. It's kind of low for Jako's son. Does daddy dearest know you were banging the help while you were here?"

There was a bitterness to De that I had never seen anyone in her age before. It ate her up. Made her cruel and heartless. And so fucking shallow.

"This is your only warning, little sister. You say one more negative word about Blair, and I'll make sure you regret it for years. Do you understand me? Because I swear, I am dead serious."

Her lip drew up in a snarl, and she turned to look at her friend.

"I'm sorry about this, Neveah. I'm sure he'll be gone once he's done bitching."

I barley glanced at the redhead, but I had seen enough to know she more interested in me being here than De was.

"I called Jako. This place was bought furnished. That damn mirror didn't cost five grand. Furthermore, I did some more research . Blair fell and sliced her hand open in your Houston your things while working. She then got fired for it. I'm her witness, because I was here, and I was the one who rushed her to the hospital to get stitched up. There's a medical record of the stitches. Way I see it, Blair needs a lawyer, 'cause she's got one heel of a case. This whole situation is a fucking lawsuit waiting to happen. She was hurt on the job and then fired over it. She can sue the cleaning agency, and she can fucking sue you. Wouldn't that make the headlines?"

De's eyes went wide, and I enjoyed every damn minute of it as my words sank in.

"I'm even going to suggest that she sue you for the money she's already given you, plus a million dollars for pain and suffering. You are Jako Miliani's daughter, after all. She might as well go for a lot. You can afford it."

De let out a laugh that sounded forced.

"She can't afford a damn lawyer. That's not going to happen."

"She won't have to pay for one, I've already called mine."

De slammed her wineglass down and stood up.

"Really, Travis? You too? The whole damn family hates me. Now you're going to take sides with some girl you're fucking?"

I took a step towards her, reminding myself that I didn't hit women. But dammit, that was hard. I wanted to wring her neck.

"Don't. Ever. Call. Blair. That. Again. She's more than you could ever imagine. She doesn't even know I'm here, because she didn't tell me about this bullshit with you. Dean did."

I let that sink in.

"You bring the hate on yourself, De. Stop being a bitch." I added on.

I had said what I'd come here to say. Turning, I headed for the door.

"Dean called you?" Her voice sounded smaller.

Even the brother she adored, who loved her when no one else did, was done with her bullshit. She was getting that, finally.

"Yeah. He did. He hates to see Blair suffer at your evil hands, too." I said, glancing back at her.

She didn't look so angry anymore. Crestfallen was a better description. It was a shame there wasn't one small piece of me that cared. We shared a father, but I hated this woman. Not just for what she had done to Blair but for how she had treated Karleah when she first came to Miami Place, too. I didn't hate easily, but De made sure to bring that emotion out in people.

"Wait. Here. Take the damn cheque. I don't want anymore money. But I don't want to see her again, either. She isn't getting her job back."

I turned and took the cheque from her outstretched hand. She'd just left all of Blair's life savings lying there on her coffee table under a bowl of fruit, as if it were a napkin.

Tucking it safely into my pocket, I gave De one last pitying look.

"I hope you figure out one day that piss and vinegar aren't attractive. After a while, you can turn everyone away from you for good. Snap out of whatever shit that is controlling your head, and change. Because you've lost everyone else already. Don't lose Dean, too."

The pain that sliced through her expression was enough. I left.
I was ready to take care of my girl.