CHAPTER 18 (Blair)

Blair

Owen came by the next morning to tell me he had called in sick for the rest of the week and was going on a mini-vacation. He hasn't slept last night and he was weepy today.

His main concern had been me getting to work. Although I had assured him that I could walk, but he just said he wouldn't be able to relax and get his mind off everything if he was worried about me walking. So he had a guy he trusted to come pick me up and take me home on the days I worked.

He assured me that he'd known this guy, forever, and he was a close friend of Mr. Flemming. I had to promise him that I would ride with his friend, Elijah, before he would leave.

Because I was worried about him, I said ok. But this wasn't something I wanted to do at all. I would have much rather taken a cab. But Owen refused to accept that.

So now I stood outside my apartment waiting for a "grey BMW with shiny silver wheels you couldn't miss" to drive up. Owen had also said that Elijah had long blonde hair and looked like he belonged on a surfboard.

Yellow crime-scene tape surrounded the door and sidewalk three doors down. I cringed at the thought if the horror that happened. Owen had seen it all. I worried about him, too. How could he be that out of his head and move on?

Last night, I had drifted off to sleep while Travis had put me on hold. It surprised me, really. Just know in that he was there and wasn't leaving me had been enough to relax me. There had been a strange conversation we'd had about what we were sleeping in. He slept naked. The image of that man naked excited me. Which was going to be awkward when I had to see his face again.

The slick grey BMW was hard to miss as it pulled into the parking lot. Even without seeing the wheels or the blonde haired guy in the driver's seat, I knew it was him. No one in this apartment complex drove a car like that. I pulled my backpack up onto my shoulder and took a deep breath. Owen wouldn't send someone to get me who was dangerous. I could do this. I could.

The driver's-side door opened, and a tall guy with blond hair that curled just below his ears smiled at me. He had dark sunglasses on, so I couldn't see his eyes. However, he seemed safe. His smile was friendly,and again, owen trusted him.

"Are you Blair?" He asked.

I nodded and stepped off the side walk and toward his car.

"Only Owen." Elijah said, shaking his head and chuckling.

I didn't ask what he meant.

"Thanks for driving me. I'll pay for your gas." I told him as I got into the car.

Elijah frowned.

"Uh, no, you won't. I can give a beautiful girl a ride to work and back."

I didn't tense when he called me beautiful. That was a positive sign. I was progressing. Not all men were bad. Owen, Travis and Dr. VanWoodson had taught me that. Then there was the way Dave Peterson adored his wife and child.

My thoughts about men were changing. The longer I stayed in Miami Place, the more I saw the good side of humanity.

"Did Owen tell you to take me to the Country Club? I can walk to work from there."

Lately, Owen had been taking me to the houses I worked at instead of letting me walk. It was something I knew Travis had mentioned to him.

"I was told you needed to be taken to De's today. I hear she's coming back in the next two weeks. Oh, joy," Elijah said, lookin at me like I understood what he was talking about.

I had never met De, but from what everyone, including her brother, said about her, I wasn't sure I wanted to. I liked cleaning her house. I needed that job. But she was beginning to terrify me. I would have to tell her about the mirror when she returned. I dreaded that.

"I don't think I'm looking forward to meeting her," I admitted to Elijah.

"No one seems to like her very much."

Elijah let out a bark of laughter.

"Understatement of the year!"

Oh, wow. I wished she would stay in Italy now.

"You heard those shots last night?" Elijah asked, changing the subject.

"Seeing the crime-scene tape is freaky shit," he added on.

I nodded and pushed the memory of last night out if my head.

"Yeah," was my only response.

Then I focused my attention out the window. I didn't want to talk about the shooting.

"Sorry. If she was your friend or something. I didn't mean to be disrespectful."

I continued lookin out the window.

"I didn't know her," I told him.

He was quiet then. I should probably have spoken up and not made it awkward, but I wasn't sure what to say. When he pulled into De's gate and followed the curve of her driveway, I was relieved. I was looking forward to cleaning and enjoying my quiet time alone.

"I'll pick you up around three."

"Yes, thankyou."

As weird as it was taking s ride from a stranger, it was nice to get to work faster.

Elijah gave me a crooked grin.

"No problem."

That night, I told Travis about Owen leaving and Elijah giving me a ride. He didn't seem thrilled by this, but I didn't ask him about it. We were friends, nothing more. Instead, I read two chapters to him. Just before we hung up, he asked me if I was in my pajamas yet.

"Yes," I replied, looking down at the cutoff sweatpants and tank top.

He signed and then chuckled.

"Sorry. I couldn't help myself. Good night Blair."

"Good night Travis."

"Sweet dreams."

He had no idea how sweet they would turn out to be.