CHAPTER 7 (Travis)

Travis

Two days after I took Blair home from Karleah's, I was still wondering about her. Worrying about her damn hand and her walking everywhere. I was trying like hell to shake it. She wasn't my responsibility.

Karleah handed me Adelia Jane after she rescued her from her car seat. I held the little miracle baby close in my arms, because she was still so stinking tiny. And the way Dave hovered over her like she might break made me think she just might. I was careful.

"You carry her. I'll get the diaper bag," Karleah said, reaching for the large bad full of Adelia Jane's travelling supplies. The bag was bigger than the baby.

"We're just going to meet the Stevenson's for lunch. She really needs all that stuff for the whole two hours we're gone?" I asked, wondering how it was possible that Adelia Jane required a bag that big.

Karleah just grinned and put the strap over her arm, then locked up the expensive SUV our father had given them when Adelia Jane was born.

"Let's go."

I followed Karleah towards the entrance.

"Why didn't we just use the valet?" I asked, thinking it would have been easier.

"Because it takes a while to get Adelia Jane and all her stuff loaded. I hate holding up the line."

I glanced at the valet, and there was no one there. I didn't comment, though.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Peterson, Mr. Miliani," the guy at the door said, as he opened it wide for us to enter. I wasn't a member of the Country Club, but Karleah, Dean, my father, Dean's father, and, of course, De, were all members. I think people assumed I was, too.

"Mrs. Peterson, Mr. Stevenson and his wife are already seated in the back room. You've been given privacy," the hostess said, before we even reached her. We followed her through the dining room into a room with three glass walls overlooking the gulf and tennis courts.

Jessica stood up immediately and made her way over to me. She wasn't coming for me, though. That much i knew.

"Give her to me." Jessica all but squealed, holding out her arms for Adelia Jane.

"Hey, Trav!" Sammy Stevenson said, as he stood on his chair and waved at me. The kid looked more and more like his father every time I saw him.

"Hey, little man." I walked to give him a fist bump.

"B'whoa it up. Like dis," Sammy said. Then he made a sound with his mouth like something was in fact, blowing up, and opened his fist.

"That's an Uncle Dave thing," Jessica said, laughing.

I made sure to blow it up and took the seat across from Sammy and Dean. Dean was grinning like Sammy was the most entertaining thing in the world.

"Sit in the seat. No standing. Remember?" He corrected.

Sammy plopped down, and Dean ruffled his hair, then looked at me.

"Enjoying your visit?" He asked.

"Yeah. It's good to see Karleah doing so well. And happy."

Dean nodded in agreement.
"Dave, too. He's always smiling these days."

"Glad I don't live here. You guys look happy and all, but you're falling like dominos. You, Nick, Dave, and now Tate." I leaned back and grinned.

"It's in the water here, so I can't stick around too long. Not ready for that yet."

Dean chuckled and looked over at Jessica, who was cooing at Adelia Jane. Jessica was a beauty. No doubt about it. When Dean decided to settle down, he picked a winner. But, still, this wasn't something I wanted. Not yet, at least. I was only twenty-five.