CHAPTER 24 (Blair)

Blair

When Travis introduced Dean Stephenson, it clicked into place. Miliani and Stephenson. Dean was George Stephenson's son. That's how Travis knew him. Their fathers. Wow.

While Travis didn't look like a rock God's son, Dean definitely did. From his pierced tongue, which flashed when he spoke, to the tattoos on his arms, neck, and legs, to the all round swagger he possessed, Dean Stephenson screamed Power Demon offspring.

His wife, Jessica, was the kind of beautiful who left you speechless for a moment because you weren't sure if she was real. The white-blonde of her hair made her seem almost angelic. There was a kindness in her smile that made her seem even more heavenly, but then she opened her mouth, and a much thicker southern twang than even Karleah's came out.

I couldn't help but smile. She wasn't a model or a movie star, though that was the type of girl I expected to see Dean Stephenson's arm wrapped around possessively. But then again, she was gorgeous enough to be both, so I didn't question it. She fit him. More than I think anyone else could.

I talked with Jessica about Karleah and Adelia Jane. She also asked me about Owen, since he'd given me her number after her maid retired, but she never brought up me cleaning her house. In a way, I was glad, because that would only remind me of how much I didn't for in here. But then, it also made me wonder if she had hired someone else. I really could use the job.

One thing that was becoming more difficult to ignore was the women who flirted with Travis. He didn't seem to notice, but even the servers gave him looks that were meant to let him know they were available. If getting a woman was this easy for Travis..... Why was he with me?

Two hours later, the groundbreaking ceremony was complete, and the party had moved to the Country Club. And unfortunately now that the women were all walking around in their bikinis, they were even more flirty with Travis. Several had openly walked up to him and asked him to swim or dance. He had casually declined their offers, but it was as if I wasn't even standing there. I hadn't taken off my sundress off yet, because I wasn't comfortable wearing s swimsuit in front of all those people. But I started thinking I might need to if I wanted to keep Travis' attention.

I spotted Jessica across the pool, and she was still wearing the blouse and short summery skirt shed had on earlier. She wasn't strutting around in her swimsuit. She also didn't seem bothered by the women who were looking at her husband with covetous glances.

But she was married to Dean.
I was on my first date with Travis.

"You want a drink?" Travis asked, as his hand slid around my waist as he bend down and whispered in my ear.

"Yes, please," I said, needing something to distract me.

"Stay here. I'll go brave the bar. More champagne? Or something else?"

I didn't want to stay here. Couldn't we wait for a server to walk around with one of those trays? But then I doubted he wanted the fruity drinks they were serving that way.

"Champagne is fine," I replied.

He squeezed my side, "I'll be right back."

Just as I'd feared, women seized the opportunity and approached him as he walked away from me. He was polite and didn't seem interested, but it was still hard to watch. Because those girls would be nervous when he touched them. They'd have sex behind a palm tree out here if he wanted them to. That was what I had to compete with.

Besides, I had a twisted darkness inside my past that I would never be able to fully tell Travis about. They didn't have that problem. They were free to enjoy their bodies and make men happy. I felt sick.