CHAPTER 31 (Travis)

Travis

My phone rang as I was pulling into the house after a long day st the stockyards. It was Dean.

"Hello," I said, not used to getting calls from him.

"De's back home," he said, not sounding real happy about it.

Couldn't say I blamed him, but then, I thought he loved his sister.

"Yeah," I said, wondering what this shit had to do with me.

"You know anything about a mirror at De's house?"

Shit! I had forgotten about the mirror. And De being home. Motherfucker. Blair would have gone to clean yesterday. Suddenly, her headache made a hell of a lot more sense.

"First morning I met Blair, she fell cleaning the window, and the fucking mirror crashed down around her. Sliced open her hand. I had to take her to get stitches. I forgot about that damn thing. I figured De wouldn't even notice."

But I knew she had. Because Dean was calling me. If she'd been cruel to Blair,I'd be paying her a visit, and it wouldn't be one she fucking wanted.

"She probably wouldn't have. Except Blair told Her about it and promised to pay her back," Dean said, still sounding annoyed by something.

"Shit! I should have replaced the damn thing. I just got busy with stuff and forgot."

"Yeah you should have. She brought De a cheque for two thousand four hundred dollars today after De had her fired from the agency. My guess is she lost all her jobs. And she's fucking broke. I was going to take the cheque away from De, but I was afraid she'd press charges against Blair or some stupid shit like that. I'm thinking Blair might need a little help right now."

"Two thousand? What the hell! How much does De want for the damn mirror?"

She was the meanest, most vindictive bitch I had ever met. When she'd offered to help Karleah with a blood transfusion after Adelia Jane's birth, I thought for a moment that she'd found a heart. But apparently not.

"She's claiming the mirror cost five grand and came from Paris. I'm calling bullshit on that, but she's determined to get her money for it. I figured I'd stop this if you don't. I just know that if it was Jessica being fucked with, I'd want to be the one righting the wrong. Not someone else."

"I'll be there by morning. Don't let De get near Blair again. I'm coming to settle this shit and bring Blair back with me. I can't get things done, because my minds always on her. I want her here."

"De will stay away for now. I wasn't happy, and she knows I'm pissed. I also informed her that she'd just fucked with your girlfriend. She didn't take that onfo well. I believ when I left, she was ranting about 'not believing this fucking shit.' " Dean chuckled.

But my mid was already on the next thing. I had planns to make and a girl to persuade to move to California with me. After ending my call with Dean, I started packing and made phone calls to my stepdad and Ethan. I told them that there was some stuff I had to handle out of town and left them with the list of things I needed help with while I was gone. Then I headed to the airport and took the first flight out.

Not going directly to Blair was hard. But I was going to deal with my 'dear sister' first. The plane touched down close to midnight. I had arranged for Dean to send the truck I usually borrowed when I was in town to the airport.

It was a little after two in the morning when I pulled up to De's gate after plugging the code into the security box. Lights were still on in the house. She was still awake. Good. I wouldn't have to wake her up.