CHAPTER 26 (Blair)

Blair

Owen was at my door with two cappuccinos on Monday morning. I was so glad to see him, that I hugged him tightly before taking my java goodness from him.

"You're back! Are you better? Can you sleep?"

He beamed at me. He loved the attention.

"Yeah, I'm good! I had a few rough nights, but I'm better. I see they took the tape down."

I nodded. I tried not to think about the shooting. From the little I had seen on the news, I knew that Jakob was being held without bail. He would be tried for murder. And Melanie's parents had come to take by body back to Vermont to bury her.

"I'm glad you're back!"

"Missed me, did ya? Good. I heard you broke Elijah's heart while I was gone. But since it was over Travis Miliani, I'm gonna say that was a smart move, sugar. Elijah might be pretty, and his add might be the tightest thing I've ever seen, but he likes to dip his dick in a new woman every damn night. Not you're type at all."

I frowned, then laughed at his description of Elijah.

"More info than needed, but okay."

"Drink that cappuccino, darling, because you're gonna need it. I heard that the wicked witch if the Place is back. She arrived from Italy late last night. Prepare yourself for this, DeAnn is an evil, evil bitch. She's gonna take one looks t you and get pissy. She doesn't deal well when there's a female better than she is, and baby, you are smoking."

I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious about De. She was Travis' sister. But I also had to tell her about her mirror. Travis hadn't brought it up again, but I knew I had to tell De what had happened. Every time I cleaned that room, I saw that empty space and dreaded having to tell her what I had done.

There was a good chance that De would fire me. I was preparing myself for that, too. But I was going to call Jessica Stephenson this afternoon and see about cleaning her house. If I was fired from De's, then at least I wouldn't hurt  from the pay cut.

I grabbed my back back and slipped it up my arm and followed Owen out to his car.

"How did you hear about Elijah?" I asked.

Owen grinned like he knew the best secret in the world.

"I got a call from Travis last night. He wanted to make sure I was home and I would be picking you up for work. He also explained that he'd need to know the next time I was out of town or couldn't take you to work. He didn't want Elijah to be my first call. He said he would make arrangements." Owen wiggled his eyebrows.

"So naturally, after that very intimidating call, I called Jessica and asked her what the scoop was. She didn't know the details, so she called Karleah, who, of course, knew. Then Jessica called me back and filled me in."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"I can't believe you called Jessica Stephenson And asked her what she knew."

Owen laughed and cranked the car.

"Jessica was my girl before she was a Stephenson. Even married to hot, sexy-as-hell, do-me-now, Dean Stephenson, she's still my girl."

The way Dean looked at his wife, I couldn't imagine he would like anyone calling Jessica, 'my girl'- even Owen, who apparently listed over Dean's body regardless of his friend being married to him.

"Now, tell me, any yummy deet's you can share about Travis?"

I thought about last night and how good he had made me feel. Even after I lost it and messed up the moment, he had been so gentle and sweet.

"I love him."

There, I'd said it. I had to say it to someone. Owen slammed on the brakes and looked at me. Thank goodness, we weren't out of the parking lot yet.

"You did not just say that."

I shrugged. "I can't help it. I won't tell him. But he just makes it impossible not to live him. He's just... Jut what every girl dreams of. He makes everything right when it all seems wrong."

Owen laid his head back against the seat and groaned in frustration.

"Baby girl, what are you thinking? You can't fall in love with Travis Miliani! He doesn't even live here, for starters. Long-distance relationships don't work. He's a grown, very healthy man. He's going need to get his groove on, and he's going to have women throwing themselves at him over in California. You can't love him. He's the kind you enjoy and appreciate. Not love."

My good mood evaporated. A sick knot formed in my stomach. Was own right? Probably. He knew so much more about relationships than I did. Did Travis have to have sex? I hadn't given him sex. Oh, goodness.

"He's probably got a woman in California, maybe even a couple he gets his goodies from. You gotta know that, sweetie. And I'm betting you didn't have sex with him, did you? Don't answer that, I know you didn't. I would have seen it all over your face if you had. So that means he went back to California horny. He's gonna get it somewhere, Blair. Those are the facts and I don't want you hurt."

Hurt? I was devastated.

"But.. I love him," was all I could say.

Owen reached over and squeezed my thigh.

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to be upset. But you don't need to be blind to this. Has he told you he loves you?"

I shook my head no.

Owen sighed. "Girl, what am I gonna do with you? Love is one of those things you gotta be careful with. Guard yourself. I still got that friend we can double date with."

Travis said I was his. He didn't want anyone else to see me in my swimsuit. I didn't know if that meant we were exclusive, but apparently, I didn't know a lot. But I didn't want to go out with someone else. And I didn't think Travis would want me to.

I was his, he wouldn't sleep with someone else.... Would he?

The Travis I knew wouldn't do that. I didn't believe he would have sex with someone else. He hasn't told me he loved me, but he had said thinks that made me feel like I belonged to him... And like he belonged to me. Like he wanted to be mine.

"He said I was his," I told Owen.

Owens eyebrows shot up.

"Really? He said that? Like how did he say it? Give it to me word for word. I mean, I know he didn't want Elijah taking you anywhere, but I figured he was protecting you from the man whore who had an eye on you. I didn't think it was because he was laying his claim just yet."

I didn't want to share my private time with Travis with anyone else. But I also didn't want to make a mistake and end up so completely broken that I couldn't ever recover.

"He said he was glad I hadn't worn my swimsuit in front of everyone at the party, because he didn't want another man looking at what was his."

Owen let out a low whistle.

"Maybe you better not date anyone else right now. Maybe I misjudged this. I don't want an angry cowboy coming to Miami Place ready to Kidd someone. Let's just be careful, ok? Try not to love him too hard. Guard your heart, if you can."

I had given Travis Miliani my heart already. I didn't have anything left to guard. Bit I didn't tell Owen that.