five » exponential growth

dear infinity,

i don't think you realize just how much my friends love you.

you are all they talk about with me anymore. i never knew they enjoyed asking so many questions. when am i going on another date with you? wait, we're not even really dating? then what are we, if not boyfriend and girlfriend? friends with benefits? but what about—

they are so bothersome sometimes, but i love them anyway.

i remember that when i finally decided to bring them to meet you, i was just hoping that none of them said anything too stupid. you all got along really well, much to my surprise, and i cannot be more thankful that you put up with them for as long as you did.

but this all would never have come to pass had our second hangout not gone well. it had been a pretty basic outing—just dinner and a movie—but any moment spent with you is a moment i will always cherish. it amazes me how much you can amaze me, honestly, because not a day that i've spent with you has gone by without a surprise from you, whether it comes in the form of a deep, well-developed bit of philosophy about an often overlooked subject or just in the way you are so dazzling, so beautiful, that you are the brightest star in my sky—maybe even the only star in it, for me at the very least.

my favorite part of the night was definitely when we stopped by that old book plus coffee shop near the city limits. i learned that you loved drinking coffee in the midst of books—the "illusion of an appreciation for the past," you called it—and we laughed over this quirk of yours because you didn't even enjoy reading. i, however, found it endearing, just as i found your nickname—finn—endearing, even though i find that i prefer calling you infinity. it's just so much more poetic, don't you think?

you gave me a nickname in turn, which i also happened to find endearing. people might get the wrong idea if you call me bey, but you and i both know that we're just friends.

as we pulled up at your house and into your driveway, i couldn't prevent the sinking feeling in my stomach at the sight of your brother waiting for you and maybe even for me on your front porch. i had been hoping that you would take your brother inside with you so that i wouldn't make an awkward mess of myself in front of him, but i guess you knew that i needed to get this confrontation over with because you told both of us goodnight and disappeared into the house fairly quickly.

he turned to me, asking if i was serious about you. i told him yes, but i also told him that you and i were just friends. he gave me an odd look but nodded along with what i was saying. before i left, he forced me to promise that i wouldn't hurt you.

it was odd, really, because that was the same thing my best friend made me do while we were playing video games today. i suppose i should have known that you would give him a really good first impression and a billion good impressions after that, but it was still a nice surprise that he asked me to take care of you.

i would never plan on doing anything but take care of you, you know. the night sky is more breathtaking with you in it.

sincerely,
beyond