Chapter 40: Space

I have been intentionally avoiding Kieran for the past week, him being himself makes it hard for me to do so and also my friends are worried about theym way I am acting each time his around.

"Zoe stop!" Zoe is dragging me holding wrist to the cafeteria.

"No! You and Kieran have to fix whatever the hell is happening between the two of you!"

"I said stop!" I yanked my wrist away from her hold.

"Why Maddie?!" She angrily ask.
"Did Kieran do something?!"

"He didn't do anything wrong." I spoke looking down.

"Then what?!"

"I..I just can't" I run off as fast as I could. I went inside the girls comfort room, crying inside the stall.

As I walk out the comfort room a hand grab me to the side.

"Tell me what's wrong." Kieran cupped my cheeks "please tell me."

I looked away from his eyes but he forced me to look at him.

"Have you been crying?" He softly ask, I pushed his hands away.

"I'm fine!"

"You are not fine Maddie! What is it about? Did I do something wrong?"

"No" I shook my head.

"Then why are you avoiding me?" He lifts my chin with his index finger, his eyes turned blury from the tear building. I looked away.

"I just need space" he took a step back from me.

"There, there's your space" he pointed at the space between as, my tears betrayed me and fell.

"That's not what I'm asking Kieran!"

"You said space! Do you need more?!!" He took another step back.

I shook my head "No! No! No!"

"What else do you need Maddie? Please just don't do this." He was crying himself, his arm tightly around me.

I pushed him off "I'm sorry!" And I run away to the halls, stopped near the science lab for I was lost in air for too much running.

"Maddie?" I looked up to see who it is and it was Cole.

"Cole!" I hugged him, I couldn't contain it much anymore.

He led me to the parking lot after letting my teachers know that I can't come to school anymore for I was feeling sick.

We stopped near a pet shop, my eyes hurt from all the crying.

"Come on" he opens my door.

"Why are we here Cole?" I ask looking at the sign.

"Well my uncle owns the store and I would normally come here when I'm feeling down and upset, furry animals helps" he said opening the store doors, I saw a grown man by the shelves with some customers he let us go in to the back.

"He's your uncle?" I ask.

"Yes! Really nice." he smiles.

"Mom side or father side?"

"Mom's"

We entered a room full of dogs and cats. He walked towards a siberian husky puppy and opened the cage. The dog wiggled his tail as it got out running to Cole.

"This is Frodo!" He waved his paws to me "Lord of the rings is the best!" His nosing the dog.

"You like dogs?" I sat to pet Frodo.

"Yeah but my mom wouldn't let me have one for my dad's allergic to dogs" he giggled as Frodo licks his face "so that's why I helped around here instead"

I smiled and pet Frodo.

"Do you like dogs?" He ask to continue the conversation.

"Yes, I have one actually her name is Miho!"

"Lucky, what is she?"

"She's golden retriever, just like that one" I saw one on the cage and pointed.

"Wanna pet one?" He walks towards the cage of the dog I pointed and hold it then gave it to me "his a boy"

"So cute!" As I held the dog in my arms.

"So now we can talk" he looked at me.

"It's Kieran, He confronted me about why I was avoiding him and I told him I wanted space." I continue to pet the dog.

"How did he react?"

"He was confused then a little bit mad."

"That's natural, his girlfriend wanted space but he don't understand why." he offered me a sympathetic smile.

"Even my friends are so eager to know why and they wanted me to fix things with him, if only they knew." I deeply sighed.

"They'll might understand if you tell them."

"You know that it's not that easy." I stared at him furiously.

"Okay, I will not push it." He put his hands in defeat.

"If only I have the courage to tell them the truth."

_____________________

Cole gave me a ride home and as I walk to the Kitchen I smelled something hungrily good. I saw dad cooking and it was the first time in months that I saw him cooked dinner.

"Your home" he exclaim as he saw me, he looked happy.

"Yes and why do you look extreamly happy?" I ask kissing him in the cheek

"Well..."

"Well what?" I sat on the kitchen counter looking at him.

"Maddie! I'm finally meeting him, my son!" He said excitedly, I forced a happy smile looking at my father.

"Good" I walk towards the fridge for a water.

"And Maddie, I want you to meet him as well" I nearly choked on my water. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, the water was just too cold" I lied yet again.

"We are meeting them tomorrow night so be prepared." He was smiling from ear to ear. I've never seen him this happy in a long time. "I'm so happy!" He hugged me tightly and I pat his back.

"I need to get some shower first." I let him loose from the hug.

"Okay but hurry, I wanna eat this hot." I nodded as I walk out of the kitchen not wanting him to see me cry.