Chapter 6

**Jesses POV**

I began tutoring with the target after school, and I was interested in spending time alone with her.

I watch her in school intently and for some reason I was intrigued by her.

By the fake smile that she flashes instead of laughing, the small kiss that she places on her partners lips that fakes her affection, and the face she makes as she pretends to listen to her friend speak.

She was like a walking talking robot, something that I was familiar with myself…something that I learned to be.

Even with me she puts on a façade, hidden behind her walls not letting anyone in.

My mission was to break those walls…

**Samantha’s POV**

It was Monday morning when I went downstairs and found Julie in the kitchen making breakfast. For a second things actually seemed normal, she was humming in the kitchen and things weren’t a mess…but I realized things would never be normal.

“Hello honey.” Julie said with an overbearing smile that made me nervous.

“Hey…”

“I know things haven’t been great but I'm going to try to fix it…I promise.” She said with a genuine smile that made me actually believe what she was saying.

“I hope so…” I said with a small smile.

***

“Maybe you can talk to him about me today when you're tutoring him?” I heard Anna ask as I shut my locker.

“I guess…” I said not really wanting too…

“Come on Sam. Jesse and I get along pretty well, but its just friendly how am I supposed to move past that?” she asked.

“I’ll try, but I’m not making any promises.” I said...

I sat in the library waiting for Jesse to arrive.

Since it was only the second week of school we didn’t have much to go over, so I was just going to introduce him to what we were starting in English, “The Great Gatsby.”

I read the book more than once; it was one of my favorites.

“Already getting down to business.” I heard him say from behind me.

“Yup.” I said with a small smile.

“Ah the Great Gatsby, was a tragic story…” he said as he took a seat beside me.

“I have a question…” I said and he looked at me waiting for me to ask it.

“What’s your story? You're smart enough to not need me, but here we are. Everyone thinks you're some bad boy with no future, and they feel bad trying to get you to succeed when we both know that you could do it very easily…” I said.

I stayed quiet this past week, but I was observant. I watched Jesse in class, listening but never taking notes or doing anything. He was interested but never made an effort.

I used to be the same way when I first got to high school. I was still trying to get over my past but it was hard. I thought there was no purpose to try hard in school; it wasn’t as if I was going to have a great future. I didn’t think I could, especially with my past not to far behind.

But I realized over time that my past couldn’t control me forever… I create my own future.

I could feel his eyes on me staring intently, but I refused to look up.