Chapter 1

**Jesse**

I stood in the office listening to my instructions from the boss.

“Jesse, you are on of our top agents and this a big assignment for you. If you succeed you’ll be promoted.” He said and to which I nodded.

“Her name is Samantha Lynn Rodriguez. She was adopted at the age of 13 to a middle class Spanish-American family. Her father has a disk that encloses information on every single agent…even you. If that ever got out everything I’ve worked for would be destroyed. The father wasn’t cooperating…so we disposed of him. This is our only option.” He said looking at me.

“She’s a very tough girl, she’s been through a lot. It’s going to be hard to get her to trust you but that is what you need to do. Let her invite you into her home, her heart, her life...and you should be able to find the memory chip. Destroy all her relationships with everyone so you are the only person she could turn to”

“Yes sir.” I said.

“Here read this, its her file. Everything you need to know is in here, it starts after her adoption because that’s all we could find…this girl is a mystery “he said I took the file from his hand.

“Okay sir.”

“You enroll to Valley Bay High School as a senior starting September.” He said.

High school? I had to force myself to not protest in front of the boss…I dropped out for a reason…

“One more thing…” he said

“Yes sir?” I asked.

“Your our top agent for a reason, you do what needs to be done. You don’t let emotion get in the way, you never had. Your past made you the way you are and that’s why you’re perfect for this mission…don’t have a sudden change of heart.” He said.

“Impossible sir…I don’t have a heart…”

***

**Samantha’s POV**

As my incessant alarm clock rang I closed my eyes tightly praying for another week just so I could recover from this experience.

It’s been long enough, my self-conscious says and I let out a large sigh.

It was my first day of senior year, and I knew I definitely wasn’t supposed to feel like this.

I lay on my bed staring at my white plain ceiling thinking about the last couple of weeks.

It was summer, the weather was beautiful and things were going great.  I had fun with my friends, with my boyfriend, and then 1 week into July my father went missing…one week later he was found dead.

‘Found dead,’ I repeated silently in my head. It sounds so impersonal so CSI, Law and Order, type shit.

But my dad was amazing. He was exactly that CSI, Law and order type shit, well something like that.

“Samantha….” I heard my mother call from downstairs interrupting my many thoughts.

I reluctantly forced myself out of bed and into the shower. Another place where I was able to drown in my thoughts.

It was crazy how familiar death and I were; we were like close friends who were very used to each other.

First my brother, than my biological mom, Annie my therapist, Jerry; my “father” who was in jail but might as well be dead, and Ray; the most amazing man in my life.