I want to go home!

Jackies POV

-

"P-pony?" I muttered under my drugged up voice that was awfully raspy.
"Hush, now." Soda said, his warm body embraced in my weak arms, holding me close.
"I'm alright, huh?" I asked as He shook his head and Pony was crying. That's why I asked. I figured the doctors had given me only a few months or something, but I figured I was fine.
"I don't know," Darry spoke up. "I feel awful I wasn't their, Jack. I went for a walk around town and figured you were fine."
"So did I." I thought.
I think it scared Darry a lot. He promised Dad he would take care of me and protect me. He also promised Dad that Darry was to never underestimate my strength, both physically and mentally.
"I promised your old man." He choked up.
I held his hand and smiled, hoping that a certain spark in m eyes would appear to reassure Darry I'd be fine.

Sniffing, Pony let go of Sodas shoulder and stepped closer.
Smiling, I gestured him to come closer. "C'mon Pony I won't bite!"
He didn't smile. I think we was scared to see someone over come such a thing.
"You so scared me." He mumbled as I sat up slowly squealing a bit.
"I'm sorry."
He shook his head and grabbed me close. He hugged me so tightly and I felt his hands clench into my shirt. He wasn't just scared, he was terrified of losing people he loved.
"We almost lost you. I almost lost you."
He whispered the last part and my heart pounded. I felt so happy I wanted to go home and say "IM HEALED!" But I was only dreaming.
I felt awful, releasing Pony like that, hoping he'd just keep hugging me.
"C'mon, Pony don't cry. I can't stand it."

He wiped his tears away. 

"Im sorry." he mumbled. I watched his tears soak up my hospital gown. I was so happy. I could have died last night, but because of the guys, I was alright. I was perfectly fine and may be sore from the next couple of weeks. 

. . .

That Night, Darry had spent the night making sure I was gonna be ok. He hated paperwork and he was gonna have to fill a lot of it out, but right now, He was beside my bed watching me. He was goo like that. He reminded me of my Dad that way, made sure his little girl was alright. 

"Darry, why don't go to work? We can't afford you wasting your time around here!" I told him as he smiled gently. "It's alright Jack. They're paying me even though I ain't working." 

I rolled my eyes and laughed. He knew better then that! He knew that if I had the might, I'd kick his butt out of here and tell him to quit wasting time worrying about him!

"Darry, go watch a movie or go talk to a girl! Stop waiting around here for me I'm fine! I hate to watch you like this! Soda said he'll be here on his break and Doctors and nurses are always checking in!" Darry glanced at the clock ticking above the window, the minutes going by slowing. 

"Sodapop's break ain't for another hour or two!" He protested, keeping still. I raised a brow and signalled him out. "Alrighty, I'll leave. I'm checking back around 2! See ya." 

The day dragged on and on. At least those two hours did! Soda showed up with Steve that afternoon and I saw a couple of Nurses giggle when Soda flashed them a smile. "Quit flirting with the nurses, Soda!" I scolded smiled as he came over and hugged me. "Hey Kid, how they treating you?" 

"Fine." I said, leaning back as Steve came in a little bit behind Soda. "Hey, The nurse with the short blonde hair? She was a senior when we's were freshman!" Steve said, smiling at the girl. "Dottie Laurens!" He recalled. 

"What did they doctors say?" Soda said, sitting beside me. I shrugged. "I'm gonna be fine. Just a little sore thats all. My side especially. I lost a lot of blood, so they figure I'm gonna be a little pale for a few days until the donor's blood recuperates in my body." I hadn't even seen what I looked like, but I figured I was fine because I had a hot shower late last night, one of the nurses helped me and I brushed my hair out. 

We once had a full on argument about my hair color. Soda and Pony thought it was Auburn, Darry thought it was light brown, Johnny and Two-bit said dirty blonde, and Steve just said brown. Dally didn't care, so he just stood their and shrugged. My dad could describe it best. Long wavy locks that curled at the end so lightly. It was light brown with hints of red and blonde it in, the sunlight beaming of it. My Dad used to brush my hair all the time. I loved the way he brushed it, a deepish side part and pushed my bangs that I grow out, back. 

I loved my hair. It had curls that you had to use with a curling iron. They weren't too tight, but loose ringlets. No one could ever brush my hair like Dad did. Mrs. Curtis would always braid it, or put flowers in my hair. Once, for my birthday, she had saved up money to buy fake flowers and make me a flower crown. She told me to wear it on my wedding day. I blushed and I promised that to her. That was my last birthday with everyone. Mr and Mrs Curtis, and Dad. 

"Soda? Did they say when I'm getting out?" I asked, as Soda shot Steve a look. "Uhm... Yeah. But us guys think its best if you stay here a little longer." Steve said as Soda nodded along with him. Angry, I crossed my arms. "NO! I want to leave this place! I'm tired on laying in bed! I wanna play basketball!" I told them. I was on the basketball team at school. With stern eyes, he looked at me. "Jackie,  it's best if you stay here for a bit, please listen to us." 

I turned to my side and laid down angry. I was so mad at them. Didn't they want me to come home? Maybe they didn't want me home. Maybe I was a nuisance to Darry. "I-I'm getting pretty tired. You guys should get back to work." I said, as I heard them sigh a long sigh. "Already, Honey. Goodbye." Soda kissed my head and walked with Steve as I heard one the nurse tell him off. I smiled. S