The Letter

Things were a little different around the house after mine and Pony's big announcement. Darry had already had a set of rules for us that morning. We couldn't be in each others room without the door closed, we had to tell them we we's were heading to on dates, and we had to make sure people were gonna be around us when we when on them dates and no way in hell were we gonna be behaving like adults in a relationship if you catch my drift. When Darry told Pony that, his ears turned redder then a tomato. 

That morning, I went to get the mail after the big discussion and rules being set. I opened the rusted, crooked tin box and got out the mail. I flipped through the mail. Bill's, taxes, and some letters for The boys from distant family that they never talked to. I walked in the doorway and hollered. "MAIL'S HERE!" Just like Sodapop usually did. 

Darry walked out of the shower, holding the towel tight around his waist. He nodded his head towards the table, signalling me to place them there so he could check it later. I pushed all the mail on the table and one letter fell flat on the floor. It caught my eye, and I figured it was from their great aunt who always said she'd come a visit, but never did. It was purple and smelled of flowers, with cursive all over it, then I guessed it was a letter for Soda from some girl, or even Sandy begging for him back. But I picked it up, and right away...My heart stopped for a quick second. 

"No..." I muffled under my hand. This wasn't real. 

"Hey, you say the mail was here?" Soda said, walking down the hall in his usual chipper voice, tightening the belt around his waist, but once he saw the look on my face he stopped his tracks. He looked at me. I wasn't crying, or even teary eyed. I was just scared, and confused. "J-Jackie? What's wrong?" I looked at him, my eyes off the letter for a quick second. I passed him the letter and ran off to my room. I didn't know what to say. Words weren't coming out of my mouth cause I didn't know what I was feeling, and I didn't even read the damn letter. I was too scared to read it. 

I heard Darry and Pony walking over to see why I had ran off. I listened real closely, hoping they'd rip it up. 

"It's from her Mom." Soda said, he sounded so full of pity for me. "Let me see." Darry said, as I heard him tearing the paper out of Soda's hand. I imagined the looks on their faces. Pony would be worried. He'd look back and forth and Darry and Soda. Soda would be so sorryful, like it was his fault, and Darry would rub his temples, and sigh. "Poor kid." He mumbled. "This ain't fair for her." 

"Should we read it?" Pony asked, as Soda scolded him. "No we can't read it! It's Jackie's letter and it's her family. Besides, I think it's illegal." Soda was wrong. My Mom wasn't my family. she left me and my family to start a new one somewhere else. She left me and Dad to fend for ourselves. It was him and me, and we started a life here. The Curtis boys were my family. The Gang were my family. That was my family. My mom wasn't my family. 

"I'll give it to her." Pony said, snatching it from Darry's hands and slowly walking to my room, waiting for someone to stop him, hoping Darry would pull him back, or Soda would stop him in the hall, but they didn't. He knocked on my door four times and before I could say anything, opened it. 

"Can I come in?" I nodded my head as he sat on the bed beside me. I didn't even want to look at the letter. She probably just wrote about how'd she was right to leave Dad and me, and look at me now. "I don't want to read that letter, Pony." I laid back and turned around, looking out my window. "I don't want nothing to do with her. Leaving means not coming back." I told him. He put his hand on my side, comforting me. "You don't have to. I'm just gonna leave it here." He placed it on the quilt, kissed my head, and walking out. I really did want to read it. I waited until he left, then tore the envelope open. 

Dear Jacqueline (That was my first full name, Jackie was kid of a nickname.) 

I just heard about your father. I am so sorry for the loss of him. He was my first love. I wondered where in the world you were so I could give you my condolences. I was scared they put you in a home somewhere and then, I heard you're were living here and I got the address for the place. I don't know exactly where you are, but I hope it's no where dangerous. So, instead I'm coming down. I'm coming to bring you home with me. I'll be there in a few days by the time you get this letter. Hopefully, we can work things out. I'm sure your full of questions.

Love, Mom.

I didn't know how to react except for letting that little flame inside of me to explode. I needed to scream, to let my fear and pain to just get out of my body. I needed that. I really did. So, I screamed. "AHHHHHHHH!!!!" I screamed hard and loud, and let myself yell until the boys got to my room. I held my head, pacing around my room. I felt insane. I felt real crazy. I gripped my scalp, praying this wasn't a dream, hoping things were gonna get better. 

"Jackie! What's wrong? What was in that letter?" Darry said, holding my wrists and looking into my eyes, Soda to the left of me, Pony to the right. I looked around and then clenched the Pony. I clenched to his green t-shirt and wrapped my arms around his torso, feeling every muscle there. He petted my head, unsure of what was happening. "Shhh." He said, as my sobs became quieter. "She's...She's..." Pony looked at me. "Calm down. Tell us what's happening." 

"She's coming to take me back. She's told me she'd be here in a few days. You can't let that happen. You guys can't let that happen! I can't go with her! I hate her!" I told them. I really did hate her. 

. . .

"You're a useless son of a bitch, your no good for nothing! My Mother was right!" Mom was yelling so loud and harsh to my dad throughout the house, the people of the east side turned their heads, and usually, when couples fought, everyone shrugged and went on with their lives here. 

"C'mon Mom, let's go!" My Brother, who was 10 years old said, as he closed the trunk and looked at me. It usually started with my Mom yelling at Dad about something, then it escalated. I got up from colouring in the front yard and walked over to my brother. "What's going on, Bill?" I asked as he leaned against the car and sighed. "Me and Mom are leaving. So this is probably the last time we's gonna see each other." He told me. I was so confused. I hadn't understood why My mother was leaving or why my brother was saying' goodbye to me. "You ain't comin' back home?" 

He nodded his head. "Yeah." He leaned down and hugged me. "I'll see you someday, alright?" He half smiled as I smiled. "Ok." I wasn't a stupid kid. I'm some ways I understood why they were leaving. My parent's marriage was never the best and my mother was very selfish, while my dad gave her the world. 

Mom grabbed her purse as my dad looked at my mother, with such hatred, but I knew he still loved her, even though she hated him. "I hate you! I wish I had never married you! YOU were my biggest mistake, Danny!" Then, she turned to me and smugly smiled. "I hope you don't turn to be a dead beat like him." 

My father wasn't a dead beat. He was the one bringing home the bigger paycheque and built the house and provided from her. He went to work everyday and loved his family and wife, even though she didn't do the same. 

Dad picked me up, as we watched the car she rented slowly faded out of the distance, turning 'round that corner at the end of the street. I knew deep down they weren't coming back, but for those next weeks, I had so much hope. I prayed they'd come back. and They never did. We went to the Curtis House the next morning and Mrs. Curtis never let me out of her arms. She told me how cute I was and coddled me, while the boys horsed around out back. 

I missed those days, even though the were filled with sorrow, they were filled with greatness.