Your t(uff)ough

It was 3:20 when Pony dropped by that day. I was taking a nap and groggily opened my eyes, smiling at him. "Hey, Pony." 

He flashed me a smile and laid his books beside me. "Hi. The teachers brought you some homework to do, incase your bored." I rolled my eyes at him and  threw the math work on the ground. "I hate math. I'm bored, but not that bored!" 

Laughing, he looked around my room. The girls basketball team had got me 2 vases of flowers, one full of a bunch of random flowers, and then, one with White roses, my favourite flowers. I liked them cause they were so simple. 

"When are you coming home?" He asked as I gave him a puzzled look and backed up head up a bit in surprise. "They didn't tell you, did they?" I asked as he shot me back an even more questionable look. Soda had told me they talked about keeping me here longer, and even though I didn't like it, I was surprised Ponyboy didn't hear it, or even help out with the decision. 

"Soda told me it was best if I stay here for a bit. 'Told me you guys decided it." Pony kept his confused look and coaxed an eyebrow. "They never told me that." He looked disappointed. He wanted to be treated like an adult in the house, but when Soda and Darry did stuff like that, It made him feel like a little kid. 

I looked down at the floor and stared at his white converse, that were quite dirty. "I get so lonely in here. Don't tell Darry that, or else he won't leave me alone and I hate to see him waste his time in here." I kept my gaze at the blue and white tiles floor and listening to his voice. It was soft and had such derogatoriness. "Yeah. Things at home haven't been the same without you." 

I peered up at him, and saw the sadness in his big green eyes. "Hey, Now..." I leaned over and brushed my hand through his hair, moving a piece of blonde hair out of his face, which now that I think of it, was more dirty blonde now. 

"I don't know, things are different at home. Darry just sits in his chair and looks out the window, Soda only smiles once in a blue moon, and I just watch T.V." To anyone else, it would seem like a typical day, but that was not the case for us. 

I kissed Pony's cheek as I watched a small tear roll down his face and splash onto the floor. "It's ok, I'll be home soon! I promise." He looked up at me, and we just sat their staring at each other. "P-promise?" He uttered as I nodded. 

"Promise." 

. . .

I woke up in the middle of the night, in a hot sweat. It was hot in Tulsa, but nothing I wasn't used to. I was trying to catch my breathe, but I couldn't remember why I was so scared, or why I was in so much pain. I figured my meds must of worn off, so I called for a nurse. 

"N-nurse?" I called out, when a women walked in. She had dark brown hair that was put up, and was very thin and tall. "Yes, what can I do to help?" She spoke so proper, not in an Tulsa accent. 

"My...my left side hurts. Can I take any more meds for that?" I asked as she took a look at it. It looked fine, and she nodded. "I'll go get some more." I folded me legs up and closed my eyes. I hated this. I wanted to be back in my bed. I hated this stupid place, they don't let you see your friends during certain hours and stuff like that. She came back with a glass of water and two pills. 

I gulped them down, but the nurse stared at me. "What?" I snapped, almost angry she was looking at me with such pity. I hated that. 

"I noticed that..." She stopped and puzzled her look more. "Where are your parents?" I could only answer half of that question, but I felt I shouldn't tell her. So I kept quiet. We sat there in silence until she spoke again. "Because I noticed your guardian is a... Darrell Curtis? He looks too young to be your father, and only the same teenaged boys come visit you everyday." 

I laid my head on my legs and nodded, slowly. "My Dad's dead. My Mom and brother left when I was just a kid." I looked out the window and hoped the moon would be there, but It wasn't. "Who is this, Darrell guy then?" She asked as I sat up straight and started talking. 

"My Dad raised me since I was 7 years old. We were very close with a family, The Curtis family. The boy's parents got in an accident around 9 nine months ago, and then my Dad died. I had no where else to go. Darry told me he'd take me. I felt awful. He was already raising two boys, and now a girl?" I laughed. "I guess I was wrong." 

"You're awfully tough. I'd lose my mind by now." She told me, as I smiled and thought I already had.