Expect the Unexpected (3)

Hey guys, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Also, a special message to those who read 'Exit Exam' at the end xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlyle ran as fast as he could, and since he knew these woods like the back of his hand, he got to his son in less than a minute. But he almost wished he didn’t. He looked at the scene before him. Under a tree, was a pile of dead animals, next to them was a dead bear. But that wasn’t what worried him. Five meters away from him, lay his son, blood soaking his shirt. On top of him, was a bear, probably the mate of the first one. Carlyle ran to Hansel, and pushed the bear off him. Hansel sat up, breathing heavily, and smiled at his father, who grabbed him in a bone-crushing hug.

‘Are you okay? What on earth happened?’

‘Well, I was searching for a good tree I could climb, and I found this one. I knew that bears are carnivores, so I cut my hand, and smeared the blood on the ground to attract it,’ Hansel began.

Well, aren’t you smart, thought Carlyle.

‘I climbed up the tree and waited. I shot seven birds, and got a few rabbits with my dagger, and shot the rest. About twenty in all, I think. I left them at the foot of the tree, in the shade, so the smell of the blood would attract the bear even more. Finally, it came, and I shot it in the head, so we could use the skin for a blanket or something.’

I guess he know more than I thought,Carlyle thought proudly.

‘I jumped down to see if it was still alive, and it was, so I got the knife and slit its throat. I was checking the size when the other one jumped me. Luckily, I still had the knife out, so I just had to stab it.’ Hansel said smugly. ‘So, I do believe I win. Also, since I killed two bears, I think its only fair that I get two presents.’

‘Yes, I think so too. Nice job, by the way. You will make a fine hunter. Now, you take all this back to the clearing, and wait for me there. I just need to finish getting the blackberries.’ Carlyle said, getting his bag and dagger.

‘Sure father, see you soon.’

Carlyle walked back to his patch, grinning from ear to ear. That was impressive, especially since it was his first time! He picked all the blackberries, and then went to his secret patch of strawberries. He found them a few years ago, and brought some netting and wire to protect them from birds. He planted a few more, and now there was enough to last months. He picked one bush dry, and walked back to the clearing.

He finally reached the clearing, a skip in his step. Sereine will be so happy! Now she won’t have anything to complain about, Carlyle thought gleefully. He dropped his forage bag, and looked around for his son. He could see the dead animals hidden away under a tree, but his son was out of sight. Oh, not again! Carlyle thought, not wanting to go on another manhunt.

‘FATHER!’ he heard Hansel shout. But he didn’t sound scared. He sounded… happy.

Carlyle walked towards the noise, and saw his son near a tree.

‘What? What happened?’ Carlyle asked worriedly.

‘You’ll never guess what I found!’ Hansel said excitedly. ‘Quick, follow me!’

Carlyle walked after his son, who was almost running in his enthusiasm. They came to a clearing, which held a large lake. It was teeming with life, large fish jumping out of the water, and a great variety of animals coming for a drink.

‘Good job son! Now we will never go hungry!’ Carlyle said, almost jumping with joy.

‘I know! But that’s not all!’ Hansel said. He walked up to a large tree, fumbled with something for a moment, and came back with three goats.

‘I found them drinking from the lake. I don’t think they have an owner. I checked, one’s a girl and two are boys. We can kill one of the boys for meat and keep the other two for milk and cheese. They might even have babies!’

‘Oh, Hansel, you are coming out hunting everyday! You’re amazing!’ Carlyle said proudly.

They tied the goats to Carlyle’s leg, and gathered their kill for the day. Twenty rabbits, seven birds and two bears. Carlyle got out a spare bag and filled it with the rabbits and birds. Hansel carried them, and Carlyle somehow carried the bears. Off the ground, of course, he didn’t want to damage the pelt. Hansel often wondered how his father could be so strong. He was carrying two, fully-grown bears, for gods sake! He decided that his dad must be a superhero. Now he just needed to catch him flying.

‘Hey, dad!’ Hansel called, catching up to Carlyle.

‘Yeah?’

‘Can I make you a cape out of one of the bear skins?’

‘Uhm, why would I want a cape?’ Carlyle asked, confused.

‘Well, you’re a superhero, but I haven’t seen you fly, so you must need a cape!’ Hansel replied hopefully.

‘HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!’ Carlyle roared with laughter.

‘What’s so funny daddy?’

‘Y-YOU…THINK…I-I’M…A…S-S-SUPERH-ERO?’

‘Well, yeah. Because your so strong!’ Hansel said.

‘Hahaha, no son, just because I’m strong, doesn’t mean I’m a superhero.’

‘Suuuuuuuuuuuure your not.’ Hansel said, clearly unbelieving of his father.

‘I’m not! I swear!’

‘You can tell me, father! There’s no need to lie!’

‘I AM NOT A SUPERHERO!’

‘Okay, okay, don’t get your panties in a twist.’ Hansel said, skipping away.

Carlyle sighed and followed after his son. Well, he certainly takes after me, Carlyle thought.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DON'T GET YOUR PANTIES IN A TWIST!!!! xD

hehehee I love this chapter.

So, I have a special announcement! AvengingAngel, crazycarrots and I are turning Exit Exam into a short film! xD We are scripting now, and we will be done in about six weeks. I promise to post it on Youtube, and I will post the link on my profile! xD

So, for now, goodbye. Ahh, all is well in Carlyle's world. Or is it?

Upload, Tomorrow

Comment, Vote, FAN!!! xD