#2 Jealous?

Alternate way to Percabeth getting together, this time BEFORE the war. No Rachel Dare drama, just pretend she never kissed him and she just wanted to be friends. Slightly OOC Grover because in this he is the reason Percy gets up the courage to ask Annabeth out. Also, Percy says something in this that is similar to something I read him say in another fanfic on Fanfiction.net, it's not the same, but I just wanted to warn you that that's where I got the line from. But this idea is completely original.

Percy Jackson didn't get jealous.

No no, he was just protective over his friends, that was all. The young, handsome son of Hephaestus talking to Annabeth was just... Too close... Percy found himself clutching Riptide in his pocket as the boy casually touched the blonde's arm.

Annabeth was laughing, smiling, nodding, looking truly interested in what the kid was saying. She'd add something and he'd eagerly jump at it, praising her and making her blush. Her cabin mates around the two were smirking at her, grey eyes glittering with amusment, and Annabeth would tuck a strand of lemony hair behind her ear.

They were at the camp fire, Percy sitting at his usual place next to Grover, who seemed peacefully oblivious to the emotional turmoil his best friend was going through.

That guy doesn't deserve to be looked at by her, let alone sit next to her... Percy thought grouchily, his sea green eyes narrowing as the camper, he remembered the guy's name was Fred, touched Annabeth's hair, seemingly complementing her.

"Percy!" Grover exclaimed from beside him. A young Demeter camper screamed and Percy whirled around looking at a giant wave was building up towards the shore.

"Sorry!" He exclaimed, letting the wave drop. His nerves were on edge, ADHD getting the best of him, and even his powers were going out of control.

"Are you okay, Percy?" Grover asked as the Son of Poseidon slouched over, crossing his arms and pouting.

"Yeah," He replied shortly, glancing at where Annabeth was raising her eyebrows at him. He could be dead in less than a month and she was over there flirting with a guy.

"Ugh, Percy, you know I don't get mad easily, but really? Just ask her out!" He whispered forcefully. Percy looked up in shock and Grover buried his head in his hands. Seemingly extremely irritated by Percy's Seaweed Brainish personality. An Aphrodite camper giggled nearby, apparently having heard the two's little conversation.

"I don't like Annabeth!" Percy tried to deny, but his face was heating up by the second, highlighted by the glow of the bonfire. "She's just... just..." He looked over at her and seemed to have lost all words. "Okay, I like her..." He grumbled as she laughed at the other guy's joke. That dude hadn't ever talked to her before and now they're flirting more than Apollo at a female model meet up. Well, any model meet up.

"Yeah, I figured," Grover said with a slight smile. "Ask her out," the satyr said it as easily as Percy might have said "Blue Food" but that didn't help with Percy's nerves.

"Now?" He whispered, wringing his hands slightly. Grover nodded, taking a bite off of an aluminum can.

"You're clearly jealous of that guy, and worried she'll end up with him later tonight instead of you," Grover wiggled his eyebrows and made kissing noises. Percy shoved him and rolled his eyes.

"How did you know?" He asked. Grover simply tapped his temple and Percy realized that meant the empathy link and/or the satyr super powers Grover had. Well that made more sense than some of his other theories.

"Go," Grover said simply. Percy almost stood, but he looked over at her and turned away immediately.

"What if she says no? Or slaps me? Or judo flips me?" He asked worriedly, Grover shushed him.

"She won't," He answered simply, finishing off his soda can. Percy stood, shoving his hands in his pockets as he shuffled towards where Annabeth was sitting. The guy had stopped talking and now they were just staring into the fire.

"Uhm, Annabeth, I need to talk to you," Percy muttered nervously. The Daughter of Athena looked up and nodded. Her siblings exchanged looks and Malcolm gave Percy a thumbs up, mouthing Go get her. Great, even her siblings knew of his 'crush'. The guy looked disappointed, knowing that Percy was probably about to act, but he kept his mouth shut.

Annabeth stood and followed him to the beach. He felt extremely nervous, knowing he was about to do the impossible. He thought going into the Labyrinth was scary, he was about to ask Annabeth Chase out!

They looked at the water and he looked behind him to make sure no one had followed. Be smooth, he reminded himself, thinking about his step dad Paul talking to him about asking girls out (possible one shot?) Don't be too jumpy, don't act desperate, be cool, he took a deep breath.

His fingers brushed against hers and he slowly took her hand, reveling in the shock going up his arm. She was looking at him. His heart beat was wild, but he took another deep breath and concentrated on the moving water.

"Annabeth," He said her name slowly, looking over at her. She had averted her gaze and was instead looking at the water. The moonlight was bouncing off her hair. She looked over at him when he said her name. He turned to her.

"Yeah?" Annabeth replied, her eyes flitting to the limited space between them. She bit her lip. Percy moved his hands to her arms.

"If I... If I kissed you right now, what would you do?" He asked, his hands moving on their own accord to cradle her face. Annabeth took a sharp breath.

"I would... I would..." She seemed flustered as he started leaning in, only thinking of her and not fearing rejection. He realized how strong this little 'crush' actually was, he didn't want his last few weeks to be without her by his side.

He captured her lips with his, not moving a muscle as he was afraid he was going to mess up, but he felt her eye lids flutter closed and her arms snaked around his waist, pulling him closer. He kissed her slowly, savoring every second. He felt an overall emotion of completeness and something he didn't recognize.

They pulled away after a few seconds, breathless. Percy didn't waste a second in kissing her again, this time wrapping his arms around her waist as she ran her fingers through his hair. Every atom in his body was exploding one by one, leaving him completely dazed as she broke away from him. She laughed at his expression.

They stared at each other, and Percy knew this was the start of something he'd treasure for the rest of his life.