Day 21

Day 21: Write a scene involving a newspaper.

I sighed as I looked down at the headline of the local newspaper that rested in my hands. Another bombing, more deaths, more murderers. It's never-ending, really. One day they will have an article about a little girl being kidnapped, raped, and killed. Then the next day there will be something about a suicide bomber on a train.

Sometimes I think that the world would be better off without us. An apocalypse? Maybe that's what we need to get back on track. It seems that all we do all day is hurt and burn. We pollute the earth with unneeded chemicals. We slaughter because of lust, greed, and pride. We commit the seven deadly sins every day of the week.

I cast my eyes away from the paper and scan my surroundings. People are bustling up and down the sidewalk, hurrying to get to a job or appointment that they think is important, but really isn't. their lives revolve around work and money. The government and everything connected to it have forced upon us the need for money.

Sometimes I wish that we could go back in time. Back to where we traded and bartered and built our own houses and sewed our own clothes. We were self dependent and we didn't ruin the earth like we do now. We didn't sit on our asses all day and play Angry Birds or Temple Run.

We were useful. We had an important purpose, a purpose that was more than going to a meeting to help boost sales. We bettered the earth instead of ruining it.

Just then, an old lady and her yound grandson sat next to me. I stealthily watch them, watch their expressions and actions. You can tell by his body language and speech that the little boy id full of hopes and dreams. The old woman is full of love and believes in the sweet, innocent young boy who can't be older than five.

And then I think, maybe the world isn't so bad after all.