Chapter Seventeen

Veronica walked over towards Lauren who was fast asleep. Veronica quietly sat down in the chair next to Lauren and it was then that she took this moment to look at Lauren I mean really look at her. She clearly was ill and how could she not notice her daughter was suffering right under her nose. Veronica looked at Lauren's sunken face and defined cheek bones and her grey skin. This was not her daughter, this gaunt and ghost that was someone else right in front of her. Where had her happy, healthy daughter gone?.
Veronica took Lauren's fragile hand on in hers and sat quietly and soon she had fallen asleep herself.
Lauren slowly opened her eyes and looked round remembering where she was, she tried to move but her right hand was restricted, she looked to her right to see her mom fast asleep whilst holding her hand.
lolly carefully pulled her hand from her mothers grasp and reached up to her feeding tube and began to pull it out.
" Lauren Hastings what on earth are you doing?" Veronica Hastings said in a stern voice making lolly jump.
" I don't need this I am fine, so can you stop them from adding more in?" Lauren pleaded.
" No! I most certainly am not. It is for your own good" Veronica said giving lolly a stern look.
" ugh I hate you! I hate my life" lolly groaned.
" lolly stop being so over dramatic, do you want me to get your father down here?" Lolly was always frightened of her father.
" do whatever, I don't care anymore" Veronica sighed.
" I'm going to get a coffee and I will be bringing back a nurse to insert another tube"
" ugh" lolly groaned.
Veronica walkout of the ward and over towards the coffee machine where she pulled out her cell phone and called her husband.
" Hi my love, everything alright?"
" Pete its me, we need to talk"
" what's wrong? Is lolly alright?"
" lolly is the main reason why I am calling, she is very sick Pete and she keeps pulling out her feeding tube and the nurses and doctors think she would better off at a specialist eating disorder hospital instead of a general hospital"
" oh I see, do you want me to come down I've just finished work"
" no it's okay I think we should have another family meeting tonight" Pete sighed at the other end of the phone.
" okay my love, will I be seeing you soon?"
" yeah I will be home soon, is Spencer alright?" Pete looked at Spencer who was sitting on the sofa reading for her English class.
" yeah Spence is fine, she is actually reading at the moment" Pete said glancing at his daughter.
" who's on the phone dad?" Spencer said putting her book down not wanting to loose her page.
" it's your mom"
" hi mom, is lolly okay?" Spencer asked knowing she hadn't seen her sister in weeks.
" lolly is.....not doing well and we will be having another family meeting tonight" Spencer hated this she wanted her sister back home.
"Okay" Spencer said clearly upset by this and Peter could see his daughter upset.
" I'll let you get back to lolly. Give her kiss from me and I'll see you every soon" Peter said before hanging up the phone.
Veronica hung up from her call from Pete but her mind was on lolly and the family meeting tonight and what needed to be done. Veronica pulled out her purse and dug deep for the $1.25 for the coffee machine. Once she had the money she out he loose coins into the machine and pushed the cappuccino button and waited for the plastic cup to fill. Veronica stood watching the machine and let her mind wonder.
" Mrs Hastings, everything okay?" Veronica didn't answer.
" Mrs Hastings?" The Dr placed her hand gently on to Veronica's shoulder bringing her back to the present.
" sorry I was miles away" Veronica chuckled.
" Is everything is okay" the Dr said seeing the concern on Veronica's face.
" we are having a family meeting tonight to discuss what we want to happen with Lauren wether she will stay here or end up heading to Radley but, what I have seen myself Radley is looking extremely likely" the Dr nodded.
" I know I shouldn't say this but, I agree Radley would be the best choice for Lauren and we have discussed this with all the medics on Lauren's team and we have already contacted Radley to see wither they would take take her and someone is coming in the next few days and we would love to have you and your husband there to see it for yourself" Veronica picked up her cappuccino from the machine and nodded, not really be believing that she was loosing her youngest to and eating disorder and of course famous Radley sanatorium were people went in and hardly came out or hardly came back the same ever again.
" thank you, I will inform my husband and daughters about all this and I am sure we will all agree. I mean after all we respect your medical opinion"
" I know you will all Come to the same conclusion and decide on the right thing to do for Lauren so she gets the help she deserves and don't believe all those stories about Radley, I know the staff and they are excellent people who specialise in eating disorders"
" thank you that's great to hear and has changed my mind about it all" Veronica took a sip of her drink.
" I better head back to Lauren. Oh before I forget she has taken out her tube once again"
Veronica walked back onto the ward and back over to Lauren's bed to see  the curtain pulled right the way across.
She waited outside the curtains until she was able to sit next to Lauren.
A nurse came out the cubical pulling the curtain across from where she just exited " excuse me is everything okay? This is my daughter" Veronica said gesturing to the curtain.
"We are just trying to insert another tube but Lauren is making it hard for us and plus we are trying to get a IV line in as she is very dehydrated but her arteries are shutting down so we might have to fit her with a central line in neck"
" can I sit with her?" The nurse nodded " of course you can" the nurse disappeared and Veronica took a deep before she poked her head through the curtain.
" mom" Lauren said with tears in her eyes.
" everything is okay baby I'm here now" Veronica put her coffee down on the unit next to Lauren's bed and sat down next to her on the bed and Lauren struggled to sit up as she was weak but she threw herself at her mother and hugged her.
"I'm....." Lauren swallowed "I'm....scared..." She whispered in her mothers ear.