Chapter sixty one

The police were still looking the woods over with a fine tooth comb looking for evidence or any sign of Lauren being there. The police had checked over hundreds if not thousands of trees over the last 2 days when an officer called the inspector over to see that there was a small amount of blood on a branch that was similar to the one Lauren could have been in. The inspector called over the crime investigator who took samples of the blood to be analyzed to see if it was Lauren's or her attackers.

"We need to analyse this and that could take a couple of days" the crime investigator said holding swabs containing the blood.

"Right thank you, good work everyone, go home have a good rest ready for tomorrows search again" the inspector called out to his team who all soon left with him closely behind them.

"We better tell the family of our findings" the inspector said to the constable who nodded and climbed into the car and they drove off heading to the colliers.

The police pulled up outside the Hastings, knowing that they had to tell the family that their thoughts about Lauren being alive were not looking good.

The police walked into the house to see Veronica in the kitchen washing up, Peter loading the dishwasher. Spencer came rushing down stairs knowing that the police had arrived to tell them something.

"Mr and Mrs Hastings, after searching the woods and every tree we finally found something but I am afraid it is not good news" the inspector hung his head. Sometimes he really hated his job having to tell a family that their loved one was dead or that they hadn't found anything.

"We found a small amount of blood on one of the branches which could possibly be the one in the photo but, we of course aren't 100% sure yet until we get the results back"

"Thank you to you and your staff for everything for you are doing to find Lauren but, we have decided to have memorial at 12am for Lauren tomorrow since it has been well over a week now and no sign. Maybe her killer or kidnapper might be there and we would like for you to be there" Veronica said holding back the tears

"We will be there and hopefully someone will slip up somewhere tomorrow and we will be there to catch this person" the inspector said smiling.

"Thank you" Peter said showing the inspector out.

Spencer stormed up stairs and shut slammed her door and jumped on her bed and just sobbed. Spencer left Veronica and Peter standing there when they heard a knock at the door. Peter opened the door to see Jessica Dilaurentis standing there holding some white roses.

"What the hell do you want?" Peter barked

"That's not very nice Peter, I'm here to say sorry as I know how it feels to know what it's like not knowing if your child is alive or dead. Remember I went through this with Alison before they found her body" Peter opened the door and uncomfortably let Jessica into the house.

"I'm sorry Veronica" Jessica said handing Over the white roses which Veronica took with a polite smile and walked into the kitchen grabbed a vase and placing the flowers inside and filling it up with water. Peter on the other hand knew there was something strange about Jessica visit but he couldn't put his finger on it.

Spencer heard voices down stairs so she emerged from her room and quietly walked down the stairs to see Alison's mother in the lounge with her mom and dad. Peter and Veronica saw Spencer walk into the lounge and then into the kitchen and poured herself a glass of water and the walk back into the lounge.

"Spencer are you going to say hello to Alison's mother?" Peter said and Jessica turned round to smile at Spencer but what she saw instead of Spencer was Lauren's face and Jessica turned pale and swallowed hard before she forced a smile. Spencer frowned at Jessica seeing her pale horrified face and she knew then that something wasn't right.

"Hello Spencer, gosh look how grown up you look"

"Hi Mrs Dilaurentis" Spencer moved a bit closer but only to jump back shocked at what she smelt. Spencer noticed that Jessica smelt of something that was so familiar and then it hit her it was Laurens perfume which had a strong vanilla scent to it. Veronica could see Spencer's unease and she too felt the unease the more she sat there looking at Jessica.

"Well I better get going, I will come tomorrow if I May to pay my respects to sweet Lauren" Peter nodded confirming that she could come. Veronica walked over to Spencer placing her arm round her holding her close. Jessica walked past them and followed Peter to the front door.

"Mom, can you smell that?" Spencer whispered

"Yes" Veronica whispered back holding Spencer so close she was practically squashing her.

"You know whose fragrance that is don't you?" Spencer whispered to her mother.

"Lauren's" Veronica whispered back.

Once Veronica had gone Spencer spoke up "there is something weird about Mrs Dilaurentis , I mean did you see the way her face changed when she looked at me as if I was a ghost"

"I have to say I quite agree there is something strange about Jessica" Veronica said raising her brow as she glared at Peter who looked at Veronica and then looked away.

"I think she has Lauren" Peter said matter of fact sort of way and looked at the floor not daring to look at Veronica.

"Don't be so stupid Peter" Veronica said rolling her eyes at Peter.

"I'm sorry mom but, I agree with dad and I think she could have Lauren" Veronica wasn't sure what to say or do hearing that from her husband and her daughter. Could Jessica take Lauren? Was she capable of doing it?.Tomorrow once the memorial was out of the way Veronica would tell her concerns about Jessica Dilaurentis to the police.