Chapter Thirty-Three

Cain was right, I hadn't seen anything like this before. The same room we'd been in earlier had been altered into another world entirely. Splashes of colour stood out against the blank white walls, with floral arrangements and guests now adopting a more festive dress code. Apparently toga's were a big thing in these parts.

We'd barely made it through the doorway when a trumpet blasted from above us, drowning out all other noise in the room and instantly everyone stopped what they were doing and started to form a passage that clearly we were to walk down. It was strange to watch a room full of people move in sync, I half expected a flash mob to take over and reaching out Apollo's hand was there. Not for the first time, I held it as though it was my only life line and then we move. 

The powers were easiest to identify, the same golden wreath Apollo wore and that he gave to me - sat upon their heads and as we went by them, I had no idea who was on our side. All their faces had identical forced smiles plastered on, which did nothing to settle my nerves. I looked up at Apollo trying to work out if he, if they, were really helping Cain or just setting him up for an epic failure?

"You ready for this?" He asked softly.

"Sure."

It didn't matter whose game I was playing, I was just a pawn no matter which way I looked at it. So I focused ahead of us where Zeus and Hera sat on their throne looking more bored than anything else. There was a plan, the only one I knew of so that was going to have to do. We finally stopped at the base of the stairs leading up to our mighty rulers, and I followed Apollos lead, also bowing before them. A hushed whisper ran through the crowd behind us and more than once I heard the term, god killer, thrown around. Yup, this was going to be just great.

"My son, Apollo and his bride from the earth realm. Elise the Hunter!" Zeus declared. A polite applause followed the introduction and as Zeus nodded at us, we turned to face everyone and bowed to them too. "A dance!"

Again the crowd parted for us and Apollo led me towards the now vacant space. The trio of women on the harps in the opposite corner of the room instantly began to play something that sounded like a slow, waltz ready version of Blue River. Distracted, I didn't even realise we were now swaying around the dance floor; his hand on the small of my back, mine on his shoulder and Apollo lead the way. 

"I can't dance like this." I whispered.

"You can, and you are. Just go with it." Apollo instructed, so I did.

It was actually kind of fun, and since we were 'in love', looking into his eyes helped drown out everything else, including the other dancers that now swirled and moved around us. That was until one woman, loudly and rudely spoke behind us.

"She doesn't look that impressive. I thought she was, taller, in the arena. How did she defeat the beast?"

"I heard she was brainwashed by The Fallen One." Her partner had the decency to whisper back.

Since I couldn't move to confront them, I turned my head and met her gaze; the same rush that had my hands glowing earlier now vibrated through my body and I don't know what she saw on my face, but she gasped and quickly looked away.

"Your eyes are glowing." Apollo moved so we were cheek to cheek. "Deep breath. Calm down. People will talk, let them. Soon they shall something to really gossip about."

"Do you think he will be a better leader than Zeus, are we really doing the right thing?" I asked softly.

"Yes. The things he does, not just to Others, but all who live here, he can't go on. His temper is his downfall. He has destroyed cities in a rage; killed with no reason. One of Artemis's huntresses was murdered because she had red hair and for that day, everyone altered their appearance to keep him happy. He has done much worse Elise. Much."