18th June 1869

My dearest Mary,

Too many months have passed since I last laid my eyes on the beauty that is your face. I turn delirious, imagining you here with me. Just two days travel south from my new residence, for you know my journey does not permit me to share with you finer details, I was certain you were there watching over me. Like a guardian angel. Yes, that is what you are, my angel.

If only you were truly here. Your wisdom and guidance is what I require above all else now the demon has put forth his offer. Rather it is for the best you are not, for while I have endeavoured to create this treaty, a monumental declaration of peace amongst this and the other world - the price at which it has come is one I fear to pay.

Mary. My sweet, beloved. To send this to you at all, despite my best efforts at avoiding the grave matter at hand, is worrisome enough. What will you think of me should you know what I am about to agree upon? Will our son be proud to call me father, carry the Bunting name with pride? None of that weighs me down, for I know we will always fight for what is good and honest in this world, and I already know that I am to agree to the demon's offering.

Forgive me.

Oh how I long to be back with you, to hear your laugh and feel your touch. By weeks end, I shall have my wishes and desires answered, and this journey will be at an end, returning me home.

I remain eternally and ever gratefully, yours.

Alistair Bunting.

With a frustrated sigh, the papers that Alistair had been using in an attempt to write to his wife are collected in a bundle, which are then thrown into the fire. True to his unseen words, a week passes to find him returning home to Mary and his newborn son; achieving all that he and his comrades had set out to do.

____________

**I'm doing this one on my phone and I haven't gone back to check on the dates previously mentioned in my other stories. Don't hate me... Will edit when I get a second to go back, I just had to get it out while it was in my mind. ER xx