Chapter Twenty-Nine

Everything happened rather quickly after that little announcement. Clearly Cain had some Daddy issues, which wasn't really surprising since he had issues with, well, everyone. Before I could even ask who that was, Alfie had me in his hold; Portia stood in front of him though I have a feeling that was more for her own safety than ours and Hermes ducked under the table. Cain, who looked as if he might actually explode swiftly moved the realm traveler back into sight and hung him in the air like a starfish.

"Is this a trap?" He demanded.

Hermes barely managed to shake his head. "N-n-no!"

"No one else can get here?"

"You shouldn't even be here!" Hermes snapped rather boldly considering his current position. I don't think I'd be stupid enough to talk back to him right now.

"She stays." Cain ordered, pointing at me.

Maybe I was stupid too. "What? I'm not stay-"

If he heard me, it didn't matter as he started to bark out orders to the duo who could really do with a lesson or two on kidnapping. Amateurs really, letting themselves be followed and found so easily annoyed me. If it was just us, I could have time to think or get something more out of them - instead I was being talked about as if I wasn't even here and was merely some object that had no mind of its own. As Hermes assured Cain again of this places remoteness and safety, I really struggled to believe that since Cain had gate crashed this little party. Though, what if this whole realm thing was like the Kasha's little bubble of a prison. If left alone, could I get myself out here too - it was an idea, and I did have Alfie with me.

"She leaves. I'll kill you myself." Cain finished before disappearing. Great - no pressure to stay now. Right now, I'm pretty sure they believed he was serious about doing just that too.

"Well, that went well." I mused. Both of them only glared at me as they moved to the other side of the room. "Alfie, can you get us out of here?"

He tried, his muscles tense and body quivering, yet we didn't move an inch. The poor thing seemed to be getting into these situations a lot lately and I could feel how stressed he was becoming. "Alfie can't. Keep Elise safe."

"I know, I'm not mad at you, it's okay." I assured him, taking his head with my hands and pulling him closer to place a little kiss above his nose. "So now we-"

Alfie was gone and as a sharp pain radiated in my skull, and back, I barely managed to get a glimpse of him disappearing in a ball of light. It was too bright and black spots clouded my already blurry vision. Opening my mouth I went to call his name, yet instead I screamed as something tightened to near crushing point around my wrists and my arms were pulled roughly upwards.

"Careful!" Portia hissed.

"Sorry." Hermes mumbled and as everything came into focus, I looked up in disbelief as I was now chained against one of the walls. "Hate us later. We're keeping you alive."

"Was this necessary?" Portia was gone and sweet, old Huntington stood in her place, frowning as she looked at the chains that held me. As I saw Alfie crumpled at the other end I started to struggle.

"What are you doing? Let me go! Alfie!" I screamed.

"No one will hear you and he's fine. He might wake up with a bit of a headache, that's all. We need to go and I can't risk you doing anything stupid while we're gone." Hermes wrinkled his nose before reaching over and pulling on the chain. "I wouldn't keep fighting these if I were you. You could hurt yourself."

Clearly enjoying this, he tugged again and sparks of pain shot down my shoulders and around my arm joints.

"Enough." Portia scolded, shoving him away. "He does have a point Elise. We can't take any chances right now and we don't want to anger Cain further."