Chapter thirty - back to New York

"It was nice meeting you, Sarah." Nadine said and I faintly smiled. She gave me a small pat on my back, just in time when a bus finally came.

"You must go," she told me and I nodded as I started walking towards the bus. I put my hands inside my pocket as it was quite cold. As I took my first step to the bus, Nadine called me.

"By the way, Sarah?" Nadine called me and I turn around. "Yes?"

"Take care of my little nephew for me." She said and I smiled. This is why I love her. Why can't Barry be like Nadine and Jarred? 

"I will." I assured her and she smiled. Then I went inside the bus, the driver gave me a nod as I pass by him.

The bus was almost empty. There were only about six passengers and then add me. I walked slowly and sat down, three seats from the front seat. I shifted comfortably and sighed. I turned to look outside of the window and saw Nadine, still standing at the bus stop. I mouthed 'thank you' to Nadine. She smiled before the bus finally moved.

I watched as her figure slowly disappeared until she was already gone. I sat back on the chair comfortably and I could feel a tear slowly falling down on my cheeks.

It's over. It's finally over.

That was when I started crying. My sufferings are finally over.

***
"Uhh...ma'am?"

I jumped and started to look around. I look up to see the driver in front of me and that I was the only one left in the bus. "Where am I?" I asked. "In Queens ma'am." He answered, in a Hispanic accent. I quickly got up and headed towards the door until the driver interrupted me.

"Are you sure you can handle going home by yourself ma'am?" The driver asked and I stopped. "Yeah," I answered and he nodded.

As I was about to go out, I remembered that I'm in New York and my hometown's all the way to California. I went back inside, "Sir?" I called the driver and he turned around.

"Do you know any transportation to California?" I asked him and he nodded 'no'. "I'm new here in the country ma'am. I'm from Guatemala," he said. That explains his accent is quite different.

"But, I can lend you a home for the night and maybe, tomorrow I can ask a few friends of mine if they know something about bringing you there." He said and I smiled at his kind words.

"Thank you, sir."

"Carlos."

***
Carlos knocked three times on the door. A few minutes later, a woman, presumably already at her forties, opened for us.

"Hey honey!" She and Carlos hugged each other as if they've never seen each other for years. Unlike Carlos, she had an American Accent but her looks show that she has some Hispanic blood.

When the lady saw me, her eyebrows met.

"Who's this?" She asked pointing at me. "Honey, this is Sarah-" but before Carlos could continue, she gasped.

"I know you! You were all over the tv!" She said in a loud voice and Carlos signaled her to slow down her volume.

"Come on in." Carlos told me and I nodded. The apartment's not that big but at least it's cozy enough.

Carlos's wife invited me to sit down beside her in the couch. "I saw you on TV. Your mom gave public message in search for you." She told me and I nodded. "What did she say?" I asked.

"She said she's willing to give a large amount of money to anyone who can give some information about you and she also gave her telephone number." She said and that was when my eyes started to become watery.

I buried my face with my palms because I could no longer control my emotions. Carlos's wife gave me her motherly hug and gave me a kiss on my forehead.

"Should I call her?" She asked me and I nodded 'yes'. She got up and started walking towards where the telephone is and started typing something.

Carlos approached me, bringing with him a glass of water. "Here." He said as he gives me the glass. I have a faint smile,"Thank you."

"No problem." Carlos replied with a smiled and I nodded.

"Sarah? Here," Carlos's wife as she hands me the phone. I took a deep breath as I grab the phone.

"Hello?"

My hand's shaking.

"Sarah?! Ohmygod! How are you doing honey?" My mom asked and I was immediately brought into tears. It's such a wonderful feeling to be able to hear her sweet voice again. "I'm fine, mom. I'm currently with a friendly couple who were very kind enough to let me stay for the night." I explained and looked at Carlos and his wife, who nodded.

"Oh thank god. We'll pick you up there okay? Are you sure you're okay?" She asked again and I could hear whispers in the background. "Yes I'm fine but-"

"We'll take the nearest flight to get there. Oh thank god." She said in her excited tone and I could hear some voices in the background. "Mom, there's something I want to tell you," my voice broke at the last word.

"What honey?" The happiness in her tone soft of faded off.

"I'm pregnant, mom." I spoke to the phone and then Carlos's wife wrapped her arms around me. "Oh my god." My mom said and I heard her sob and some whispers. "It's okay. We'll talk about it when we'll get there okay?" She told me and I nodded.

"Goodbye, sweetheart. Keep safe." She said which made me smile. "Goodbye, mom." Then she hung up.

I gave the phone back to Carlos's wife and she nodded. "Thank you," I spoke to her.

"Lisa," she said with a smile.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
Hello! I've finally updated for ages. Anyways, hope you enjoyed this one and sorry if this story is going a bit too fast.

Message or tell me if you spotted some mistakes and stuffs. I would be glad to correct them.

~Tine