Jason.

“How did the first game go? What was the score? Did you kick ass?” She asked, not bothering with a hello.

                I sat down on the curb outside of the restaurant, phone pressed to my ear. I was soaked in sweat. The cool breeze picked up slightly, blowing gently against my bare back. It felt amazing at the moment.

                The first game of the tournament had just finished up, and as promised, I called Joey to inform her. She wouldn’t be arriving until thirty minutes before the second game, when we would begin warm-ups. The next game wasn’t until 8 in the evening. We had two hours.

                We were getting a small snack to pass the time.

                “We won.” I said. That alone sufficed.

                I could practically hear Joey grinning, “Good job, kiddo. Let’s keep winning. What was the final score?”

                “4-1.”

                “Oh, damn.” She whistled softly.

                I chuckled, running a hand through my damp hair. “It was a tough beginning, but the second half we completely owned them.”

                “Doesn’t matter how you own them as long as you do.”

                “Yeah,”

                There was some shuffling in the background. Joey was silent for a few seconds as she moved things around.

                She cussed quietly before turning back to the conversation, “So what are you kids up to now between games?”

                “We’re at McDonald’s.”

                “Junk food?” She groaned, “You have another game in a few hours! Do you guys really think you want to eat junk food before?”

                “We’re not eating a lot.” I defended. “Coach is with us. He’s not letting anyone get a full meal. We’re doing dinner afterwards. Everyone is getting ice cream or French fries. And no one’s getting a large.”

                “Good. I don’t need to see any of you boys throwing up out on the field.”

                “No one’s going to throw up.” I laughed, leaning back. I propped myself up on my elbows, the hard concrete scraping painfully underneath.

                “I swear, Mase, now that you said that…” She groaned dramatically.

                “Please, Joey, you never have any faith in us.” I grinned into the phone, “Rodger’s excited for you to get here.”

                “Fantastic.” She said flatly.

                I chuckled softly, “I mean, now that Caden’s out of the picture… I told him to fuck off, don’t worry.”

                “Yeah…” She trailed off, sounding distracted.

                Another moment of silence passed between us. In the background I could hear her moving things around again. Something crashed, causing me to raise my eyebrows in surprise.

                “What are you doing?” I asked cautiously.

                “I’m trying to pack a suitcase.” She mumbled, clearly frustrated “with one hand. You’d think it’d be easier than this…”