Rodger's Detection

I got the text when I was three blocks away from her house.

                I don’t need a ride today. Dentist appointment in the morning. See you later

                It took all I could not to hurl my phone out the window. I flicked my blinker on the opposite way of which I had originally planned to turn, waiting for the light to change.

                Once at school, I met up with Leah, a solemn mood about me. She took quick notice to my negativity.

                “What’s wrong?” She asked, sounding as if she didn’t care.

                I knew she did though. I’d known her well enough to know that she wanted to know what was bugging me.

                “Nothing.” I lied, trying to act as normal as possible.

                Leah rolled her eyes, bumping her shoulder into mine, “Come on, Mase, I’ve known you for how long now? What’s shoved up your ass?”

                “Seriously, Leah, I’m fine.”

                She shot me a look. “You’re going to tell me eventually, right?”

                “Sure.”

                “That doesn’t sound promising.”

                I rolled my eyes, looking her dead on, “Yeah, I’ll tell you later.”

                She smiled slightly “Alright. That’s much better. So, to change the topic, how was your weekend?”

                I shrugged, “Alright. We won our game on Friday.”

                “I heard!” She said with enthusiasm. “Congrats! This means you guys are going to the State Cup now, right?”

                I nodded, “Yeah. Next weekend.”

                “Text me the times and I’ll make sure I’m there.” She promised. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, pulling her close.

                “You’re so funny, Leah. Your cute ass better be there.”

                She laughed, “I will, calm your tits. I’ll be the one in the stands with the obnoxious banner again this year.”

                “You better not.”

                She grinned deviously.

                I shook my head, removing my arm once Delran came into view. He nodded a hello to me, wrapping his arms around his girlfriend’s waist. He pulled her into a deep kiss. I stood there awkwardly, looking for anyone else I could wander off with.

                When no one appeared, I cleared my throat loudly.

                Leah pulled away from her boyfriend, grinning apologetically. Delran wrapped an arm around her waist, keeping her at his side. “Sorry, Mason. Forgot you were there.”

                “Apparently you forgot the rest of the school was here too.”

                “Sorry, bro.” Delran laughed.

                I shrugged, “It’s whatever. I’m going to go find Rodger or something. Go have fun in the janitor’s closet or something.”