The Cast List.

“Dude what the hell is up with you?” Rodger asked as we walked through the halls in the morning.

                I turned my head his way, not having paid attention to his question, “Hmm?”

                “I said, where’s your mind?” Rodger gave me a weird look.

                “Not here apparently.” Leah made her presence known on Rodger’s other side.

                “What are you doing here?” I frowned, looking at her.

                Rodger and I were walking back from weights before school, ending earlier than normal. It was a few minutes before the buses would start arriving for school, so neither of us were expecting her to be here.

                Leah made a face, flipping her hair over her shoulder, “My sister had to leave for work early and dropped me telling me to get breakfast or something.”

                Rodger snorted, “Doesn’t it occur to you to ride the bus?”

                “Ew, no. Buses are gross.” She made a face.

                We laughed.

                Leah didn’t normally ride buses, going with the excuse of claustrophobia. I knew for a fact it was because she liked the extra time provided to her if her sister drove her in instead.

                Rodger looked back at me as we stopped at her locker, waiting for her to get her books. “So anyways, what’s up with you this morning?”

                “What do you mean?”

                “All morning you’ve been distracted.” He commented. “You weren’t even paying attention to the pounds you were pushing this morning. Mase, you did nearly double your normal weight.”

                I raised an eyebrow, “Did I?”

                “Yeah.”

                “Guess my mind’s not with me right now. I didn’t even notice.” I mumbled. Now that he mentioned it, I noticed that my arms ached a little more than normal.

                “Seriously, what’s bugging you?”

                “Why does something have to be bugging me?”

                “Because you’re acting like you did when you were sure our freshman teacher caught you nearly sticking it into Samantha James.”

                I made a face, “Don’t remind me.”

                Leah laughed, “I told you she was a mistake. Did you listen? No, because she was ‘the most beautiful angel’.”

                “No one asked for your comment, Leah.” I rolled my eyes.

                She gave me an innocent smile, “Just reminding you, Mason.”

                I noticed that more and more people were beginning to fill the hallways. The buses must have already arrived.

                The temptation to check the cast list was burning inside of me. I needed to know whether or not I was getting that date with Rose.