Chapter twenty-four

The wall caved in under my fingers, flying up into the ceiling. Xavier sat crouched in the far left corner and I nodded at him. In three seconds flat, I jumped from where I stood, opened my mouth and let a flurry of fire loose as Xavier ran towards me. When he cleared through the wall, I backed up and placed a telekinetic shield in the wall, just in case they wanted to come through his cell.

"What the hell is going on here?" he hissed through his teeth, trying desperately to calm down his heart and breathing. "Well, it's a long story..." I breathed. Finally Shaé saw Xavier and ran towards him. Her arms flung around his shoulders, her lips instantly moving towards his. They kissed and it was the most passionate kiss I had ever seen them share. They broke and I rushed towards the boy.

"Are you okay?" I asked him hurriedly, he nodded his head slowly and I backed away. "Who is he?" Xavier enquired and stepped closer. "This is a boy we found in this room... He's like Luna." Shaé whispered the last part, making my heart skip a beat when I remembered I wasn't alone any longer.

"We need to get out of here." Xavier breathed and I knew he was right. "Shaé, you need to take the egg and the boy and head back to the convoy. Xavier and I will cover you until then. By my speculation and the way the egg looks, once you get to the van, the egg will hatch. Cassidy will know what to do." Shaé nodded. "Xavier, we need to get them away, then I need to find Daveed, the head of the Black Guard. Your task is to find Mr. Kamdar." he nodded as well.

Gently I shoved the boy in Shaé's direction and walked to the door we came in. My palms pressed up against wall; it instantly turned clear, giving us a view of the hall outside. Six men in heavy clad weapons stood just outside. I guess they figured we would come out eventually. "I'll take the three on the left, you rake the three on the right." I looked back to Xavier. Shaé tossed her weapons to him, then reaches for the boy. "Done." he weighed the weapons in his hands then looked at me. "Like old times." he stated with a grin. "Like old times." I mused back.

I gripped my pair of saï firmly in my hands, moving towards the door. With a jolt I yanked open the door, Shaè grabbed the egg and Xavier charged forward. Right behind him, I barged through and knocked the three men to my left to the floor. Xavier held his ground as well, causing Shaé to charge forward. We quickly disposed of the six men and hurried after Shaé.

The halls were mostly clear, all the guards now fighting outside in the hot summer air. Shaé dodged around most of the bad guys but when one stepped in front of her she sank her teeth into him with no hassle. Blood fell onto the egg. Xavier covered me and I covered Shaé and the precious cargo she held. Once she broke the battle line, Raven's unoccupied witches huddled around her. They escorted her back to Cassidy's van and I could hear it speed off.

I turned to look at the carnage in front of me. My men were strewn on the grass, but so were the opposition. I held hope that we would win, until the Black Guard came running down the side of the tall building. My heart hammered in my ears. Adrian came rushing towards me. "You need to go and end this." he roared and I knew what he meant.

Daveed was supposed to be on the top floor, near Abney's be chamber, but who knew if he had fled. With a sharp pang, I let my wings unfurl from my back. People around me stopped and stared as I stood there. All except the Black Guard. They knew too well of my existence to be surprised. With a rocky jump, I opened my wings and took off for the roof. There a door led to the attic and the attic lead to the top floor.

The moment I stepped into the hall, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I hurried and did away with my wings. My saï stood ready and waiting. I slid from door to door, searching for the man who had mad my life a living hell. That's when I came across a deep pink room with gold detailing. It smelled of Abney, it even looked like hers. A longing burst into my chest and I couldn't help but to wander inside.

Photos in frames lined her walls, al of her and her father. Some were of friends and other of grandparents. But my heart caught at the sight of my face mixed in with Shaé's, Raven's, Xavier's, Cassidy's and Adrian's. It was the day before I had flown off in distress. We looked happy...

The scuffing of feet brought me back from my day dream. A hard hand collided with my ribs and I flew into her bed. "You should have stayed hidden." a man sneered as he walked closer to where I lay. I stood with jagged motion. Another fist collided with my jaw, sending stars dancing in my vision. I backed up instinctively.

I reached for the magic in my brain, but only found a fuzz of static. "You can't use your magic, can you?" the man asked smugly. "It's a technique I mastered so that subduing your kind could be easier." he added, more for his own ego. I gripped my saï harder and lunged for him. I caught him square in the stomach and I sent him flying.

Before he could even reach the floor I had already wrapped my legs around his waist and sent my saï through his shoulder. The man roared out and threw me off in a hurry. My head hit the window sill and more stars came dancing. "You are the only one of your kind who has ever escaped me. I won't let it happen again." with his words came back memories I had long since tried to forget.

My mother screaming, my father's lifeless body... Myself barely escaping his clutches. Daveed Hassasin. "Same could be said about you." I spat blood after my sentence. "So here we are." he mused, walking closer to me, his whole demeanour cocky and menacing. Without much thinking I sent my saï flying, distracting him just long enough so that I could run up to him. My foot found his face hard in a round house kick. The big man stumbled back, but blocked my next kick. He grabbed my foot the third time and flung me to the floor.

Using my fingers to propel me, I slid over the polished tile on my back and through his open legs. From behind him I tried jamming my other saï into his ribs, but he turned just fast enough as to make it nip his ribs. He caught my arms under his, disarmed me and threw his elbow into my nose. More stars. With his left hand he wrapped his fingers around my wind pipe and I gasped for air. "Your mother was a fighter, just like yourself. She had such a spirit. So much so that she earned her hide above my fireplace back home. A great honour for such a lowly devil spawn." he cocked his head to the side, showing off the scar I had given him when he was nothing but a foot soldier working for the old head of the Black Guard. "Not enough spirit for the high commander though." by now my face had taken on a shade of purple. My lungs burned and blackness played at my mind.

For a last resort, I struggled again, making him laugh. Then it hit me. I wasn't like any before me. I had more than this. "You forget, when you let me go... All my people's magic flowed into me... The sole heir." I choked out. My body went limp and I focused on the place the next generation of dragons found me.

Then we disappeared into the void.

Lunaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें