Chapter three

Abney sat across from Cassidy and I. Her deep brown eyes held wonder as she looked upon my Faerie's face. Sadly, her plate held little meat, unlike the rest of ours, and a lot of fruit. I guess it's a human thing. She looked to Xavier. "Why do you have food on your plate?" she asked, obviously new to the whole vampire eating idea. "Because I am hungry." he stated, dully. "But don't you drink blood...?" Abney whispered. "We do, but we can eat as well. Food still tastes amazing. As long as I get a pint of blood in every week, I can sustain myself on real food." he smiled.

Shaé stood abruptly. "How can we just sit here and act as if stealing a girl from our enemy is going to solve anything. I really expected better from you Luciana!" she roared and stomped off to the stairs. Raven motioned for me to go after her but I said out loud. "I will speak to her when we go for our daily walk. Trust me when I say she needs to cool down." I gave Raven a pleasant smile and moved away from Cassidy, suddenly needing my own space.

It was Adrian who broke the silence after that. "Well I don't know about you guys, but I am starving." he dug into his food, making weird moaning noises as he did. We all laughed. Abney looked at me again and I saw the questions in her eyes. She wasn't like her father, that is why I chose her and not her older brother. She had a burning curiosity for the unknown, that alone spoke to me on a deeper level. "So where were we?" I asked and locked eyes with her. "Are you certain you shouldn't go after that friend of yours?" she asked back, pointing to the space where Shaé had retreated. I laughed. "She is not my friend. She is my wife." I smiled at her, but another wave of questions hit her.

"I thought Cassidy is your wife?" she fired back. "She is, but so is Raven and Shaé. Adrian is my husband and Xavier as well." I smiled and folded my hands beneath my chin, intrigue taking a peak. "So you are all married?" her head cocked to the side, making Xavier and Raven laugh, Cassidy and Adrian silently ate. "Yes we are. We are a family. A different kind of family, but a family nonetheless." I answered, making Raven speak up. "Enough of our family dynamics, Luciana. Let us discuss supernatural matters, as is the cause." she smiled her insecure smile at me and I knew she knew I wanted more from Abney than met the eye.

"Yes. Let's. Where would you like to start Abney?" I enquired, my eyes burning into hers. Something flexed inside of me, as if this girl dug up my true nature. For a moment I lost grip of my control and my true eyes came forward. Abney gasped. The whole table stopped talking, everyone looking at me, even Caz. "I'm sorry. That wasn't supposed to happen. It has never happened before. I usually have better control over myself. I apologise." a blush crept onto my face, making me look down in shame. "Don't apologise... They are beautiful." she mused. Raven looked at me and I knew she was hurt. I had never let anyone see my eyes, or my dragon. "What are you?" she pushed. "I am the last dragon..." my voice trailed off and Adrian took control over the conversation. "Abney! So would you like to go to my study some later today so we can discuss some things? This is kind of still a hostage situation." his voice was bright and warm, with his wolf neatly under control. She just nodded.

I stood after five minutes, the chattering now almost non existent. "I will be seeing you all later today, but for now I will be in the garden, meditating. Only come look for me if there is a dire need." a heavy weight hung in my voice and I knew they could hear.

The garden was made of ancient trees, ones that had grown here far before man ever stood foot on this earth. My satin robe blew in the chilly air, but I had the heat that all dragons do. Tears stung my eyes again.

I made my way up the steps of our lapa. The sun had made its way not so high in the sky when I finally sat down on the cool round meditation mat I had put here long ago. Incense burnt all around me, because I had instructed my workers a long time ago to keep them burning at all times.

For the first time in a long time, I released my earthly tethers. My breathing took on a slow deep pace and I emptied my mind. Nothing but my own peace made sense to me. Hours passed as I sat there, my world but a black void and I the only thing that filled it.

A twig snapped near by, wrenching me from my peaceful surroundings. "I said that I was not to be bothered if it was not dire." I bit out angrily. "I am sorry, my dragon, but I came to speak to you about Abney." Shaé spoke softly. Then I remembered that she was not present when I had made the order clear that I am not to be distributed. "Have you been watching over me whilst I was meditating?" I asked, opening my eyes a little. Shaé nodded. "How long have I been here?" I asked. "Nearly three hours. The sun is high, my dragon." I motioned for her to sit next to me and she gladly did so.

"What would you like to speak about?" I enquired. "Abney. I don't understand why she is here, what her purpose is to us. Why not just kill the human resistance and move on?" her grey eyes met with my blue ones. "Because, ma petite, it isn't befitting anymore. I have fought so much. Spilled so many blood and I am just tired of the madness." I sighed and broke her gaze. "Tired of the madness you say? Yet you kidnap a woman who we don't even know." she stated. "She is the means to an end. She is different from her family and yet her father worship the ground she walks upon. If we can get her on our side, her father will follow and the moment he lays down his guard, the rest wil follow." I answered.

"You are a dragon! The last dragon there is! You can obliterate them all! You have won this world. Killed it's leaders... You can do it again." she growled. My eyes flashed to hers, anger clear in them. "I am not a monster anymore. I am not some assassin here to kill everyone in my way. I have changed! And I hoped of all the people here, you would understand that the best!" I roared and jumped up, Shaè didn't follow. Her blonde hair blew in the wind around and over her face. She didn't want to face me. Good.

This day just keeps getting better and fucking better.