Chapter two

Tired lines grew under my mother's eyes as the man dragged her trough the field to his master. The chains around my body was infused with some meteor fragments, making me useless to shift. Silently I wept for freedom, but it never came. My father still lay on his stomach in the middle of the field, facing me. They had nailed him to the ground with meteor spikes and threw moon dust upon his body, pinning him to the ground. We were both useless.

Finally my mother reached the warlord, her clothes half way torn from her body. His eyes shone hot with lust, but not for her genitalia. A boy handed him a gleaming long axe and he toyed with it in his hand. The man holding down my mother placed her neck on a cinder block, smiling as he did so.

With one sharp slice, a roar burst from my mother's throat as her real form took control, but it was too late. Her head was severed both in her human and her dragon form and I wept at the sight...

***

With a jolt I woke up, bursting upright in bed. Sweat was coated thick on my body and I gasped for air as if I had needed it. Spasms crawled over my limbs and I shook my head violently. Shaé stirred beside me. Her soft eyelids fluttered open revealing cool grey beneath, but those eyes were worried. "Are you fine, my dragon?" her voice was melodic, entrancing me with just a few words. I nodded slowly and looked to my left, only to find Raven not beside me. Panic gripped my heart. Hurriedly I jumped out of bed, running full speed to the door leading to the hall. "Raven!" I screamed and yanked open the door. No answer. Another wave of sweat formed on my skin. "I am here, Luciana." Raven finally whispered into my ear and wrapped her arms around my waist. Relief washed over me as I eased myself into her touch. "Let's go back to bed." she cooed and led me to the bed. Shaé looked at us both and simply smiled.

My head hit the pillow and both women wrapped their arms around me as I fell silently back into a finally peaceful slumber.

***
"There I was, surrounded by all these humans. Some woman throwing garlic at me and I'm just like, ma'am if it doesn't come on bread with melted butter, I do not want it." Xavier said and I couldn't help but laugh as I walked into the kitchen. Shaé and Raven walked with me, their fingers tightly laced with mine. "Morning family dearest." I chirped and strutted to the fridge, leaving the women's hands. "Morning Luciana." Cassidy answered, her voice sunny, sweet and happy. "Morning Caz." I replied and turned to kiss her temple. "Morning babe." Adrian added and threw Raven with the last red apple.

"No fair! I wanted to eat it!" I fired back, spinning on my heel. I huffed, making smoke come out of my nose. The family laughed. "You snooze you lose, darling dearest." Raven stated. "But I woke up with you!" I protested. "Yes, but I thought ahead and made sure I got it. Smart of me, I know." she winked and sauntered to the dining room. Cassidy came up behind me, wrapping her arms around my waist. She kissed my neck sweetly. "Don't worry, I'll go get us more today, just for you." she whispered and I turned so that I was facing her. "You're the best." I said back. "Don't let the others hear that." she whispered, giggling afterwards.

We broke our little hug and walked to the dining hall with the rest of our little family. Adrian and Xavier were whispering sweet nothings into each other's ears, Raven and Shaé cuddle quietly, both on their own chairs and Cassidy and I walked in hand in hand.

When I pulled my chair out, it scraped across the white and black tiles, making everyone look at me in the process. A few glances were exchanged before Shaé finally broke the silence. "What happened last night?" her eyes bore into mine and I scrambled for answers. "The girl was captured and brought her... She is in her-" Adrian threw up his palm. "Not that, sweet cheeks, the part that happened in bed." he lifted his eyebrow at me. Shit.

"Just another dream that I don't want to talk about." I muttered. "Was it your parents again?" Xavier pushed slightly. "It's always them..." I answer softly. "I guess it just weighs a person down to think you are the only one left of an entire race." a tear threatened to spill as I uttered those words. Shaé jumped up and strode to my side. Her arms flung around my neck and pushed my back to her. "No matter what, no matter how alone you may feel... Or how isolated you are from other species, you will always have us. And that is a promise. We love you, Luciana. Abney will love you..." she whispered the last part and the hairs on my arms stood up.

I had forgotten all about her.

"Shit. Adrian. Xavier. Come with me. I forgot about Abney." I stood suddenly, causing my chair to crash back. We took the stairs up two at a time. The men I grew to love flanked either side as we came to a stop in front of Abney's door. The hall and room was deathly silent. "Last time you checked, all windows and doors were locked, right?" I looked to Adrian and he nodded. "Then it is time for our friend to come eat with us." I stated and Xavier touched my arm. "Why are we here again Luciana? She is but human." he raised his voice slightly.

"I know she is, but I want you to assess her state and tell me if she will be fit to join us downstairs. You know Raven can't handle strong emotion. Not after the last time she was a medium of the spirit." I bit out and he let his arm fall. "Adrian will assess her with his Alpha hierarchy and if she gets out of hand, you will be my muscle." I said to Xavier. He bore his fangs to me, a sign of agreement.

I placed my hand on the handle, unlocking it with my telekinesis, and swung it open. The room was still perfectly intact and Abney lay on the bed, reading Dan Brown Angels and Demons, my favorite. "I see you took a liking to the place real fast. I am taken aback by your open nature." I smiled Abney looked up, locking our eyes. "After a visit from Cassidy and I can say that I am already considering your offer." her face was blank as she said it.

"That's wonderful." I said loudly, but whispered to the men behind me. "Make sure Cassidy never enters this room without my knowledge ever again." they nodded. "She is wonderful, a true Faerie indeed. Kind, sweet, humble... But she told me the story of how her folk nearly met their demise and it hurt me. Such an innocent girl shouldn't be plagued by such demons." she mused and stood. "Did you want something Luciana?" she purred my name. Something inside me tightened.

"Yes. I do. Would you like to join us for breakfast?" I asked, holding out my hand. Her eyes lit up. "Will Cassidy be there?" she enquired. "Cassidy is everywhere I am, so of course she will be there. She is my wife after all." I replied.