Chapter four

Days had gone by since Abney was brought to me. Abney had called her father every day. Xavier had used his persuasion to make sure she doesn't tell him of where she was or who she was with. Just that she was safe and enjoying herself. Other than that, everything went according to plan. Abney had started taking a liking to Raven, Shaè and Cassidy but ever since I told her I was a dragon, she steered clear of me.

Cassidy and Raven told me every night on how Abney spoke of the stories she heard of me and the world leaders. How I had recreated a wondrous world but with crazy people in charge. No one knew for a fact that I was a dragon, except all the people I killed in my form. But Abney knew all the tails of my olden days. I hated that.

It was a warm night when Abney and I spoke again. The seven of us lounged around the pool. Raven was moon bathing, Shaè was reading, Cassidy played with her light and the two boys played in the pool. Obviously I was sitting on my towel, meditation position at the ready. Yet something hindered my peace.

I looked up and saw Abney staring at me. Her eyes were that of a deer caught in headlights when she realised I had caught her staring. A blush crept onto her cheeks and she looked away. "Do you find something interesting about me, Abney?" I enquired and flexed an eyebrow. "You just seem so tense and ill-at-ease." she scrunched her eyebrows. "You would be too if someone kept staring at you." I muttered. "I'm sorry about that. I really am... But now that you are not as busy, may we take a stroll in the garden?" she asked, hope in her voice. "If you wish." I said back, standing up in one fluid motion. Her eyes lingered on my form, taking in the especially low v-neck black swimsuit. I wrapped my chiffon wrap around my hips and held out my hand for her. She took it eagerly and we walked, but right before we left, I kissed the top of Ravens head.

"I figured I need to apologise to you. I haven't been on my best behaviour here and I am cold to you most of the days." she softly spoke. "Why are you apologising? I am the one who took you from your home, forced you to live here and persuaded you to not tell your father of your true whereabouts. It is I who should be apologising." I answered. "I figure that is correct, but it does not feel as if I am a prisoner here, it feels like a free vacation whilst meeting different and wonderful people." she replied.

Our stride was in sync and with each step we took, we fell further into our own cocoon. "I see what you mean, but that isn't my goal here. I wish to help you see that we are not monsters here, we are as equally soulful as any human. Granted we may have darker sides, but don't we all?" I tried explaining with my hands and Abney laughed at my efforts. "You are different than the others..." she stated softly. The statement made me frown, because I didn't wish to be different. "Sorry if I am not polite by saying this, but I don't like people saying that." my voice was upset, causing Abney to cringe, as if I will slap her.

"I'm sorry if I offended you, but I am attracted to all things different." she said. "None taken. But if you are attracted to all things different, why did you curse us in the beginning, swearing you will never see our side?" I enquired. "Because I was afraid of what you might do to me. You did after all kidnap me and bring me to a place I don't know. Then I started getting to know all of you and I just..." she trailed off, focusing her eyes on the ground. "I know what you mean." I whispered, taking her chin with my hand. I made her look up at me and something sparked.

My eyes changed colour without me know. The only way I knew it had changed was that Abney gasped again. "What's wrong?" I asked, my voice urgent. "Your eyes..." she breathed out and I flinched to the side, trying to hide. "Don't do that!" she commanded and I stood still. "Look at me." she urged again, so I did. "How do they look?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"The are so unique. And by unique I mean I have never seen anything like it. They have a dark red rim on the outside with a bright red rim following it, then a sudden black circle in the middle with tiny stars of white dancing in the black and a white rim around the pupil. They are astonishing." she mused in a dazed voice.

"Enough!" I hollered and pushed her away from my. I turned and looked to the path we came. "You don't have to hide. Not from any of us." she whispered from behind me. Her hand fell onto my shoulder and I froze in place. "I will always have to hide. I nearly got killed by my true enemy when I restored this world, if I come out now, they will finish me." I bit out, my hands clenching by my side.

Abney didn't speak. "Go see if Raven and them are okay. Tell them I will be back soon, but I am going for a flight. Tell them I love them." I muttered and turned to my left. I kept walking, but I could feel Abney staring at my back. Her eyes burned a hole inside of me and I couldn't take it anymore, so I turned. "Go!" I yelled, letting my eyes flash this time. She whimpered and sped off.
I ran to the nearest helipad, stripping as I went, not that there was much. Finally I stood naked on the hot summer night, just absorbing whatever energy was around me. I hadn't shifted in a long while and I felt glee at the prospect.

Emptying my mind, I focused on my true form and heard the first crack of bone shifting. It didn't take long. If it was a minute I surely got out of practice. One minute my human form stood there and the next my dragon was up in the air.

Currents wafted around me as I took off and when I looked to the ground, Raven, Shaè, Cassidy, Xavier and Adrian came running to the helipad. Their eyes saw me and I could see fear and pride in all of them. I roared.

Abney came up last. Her eyes were big, but held some other effect in them. Her mouth opened and for the first time ever... Someone called me by my birth name. "Luna!"