Chapter Five: The List

"What is it exactly that my mother did that was so terrible?" I asked, the rasp in my voice clearing up. Nero smirked at me and turned around, obviously not about the answer my question. I stood tall, my back straightened as I was about to speak out once again, but he had already closed the door behind himself. I walked slowly over to where he had just walked out of the room and turned the door knob hesitantly. My hands were sweating, and the inside of my body was still sore as I moved. As I pulled the door open, the hallway I walked into was dimly lit.

"Every single time I open a God damn door, I always end up walking into a stupidly dark and creepy hallway" I thought as I crept forward, the sandals on my feet clicking quietly with every step I took. Up ahead of me I saw a red exit sign, and with an overexcited breath of relief I ran towards it.

I reached the door beyond the sign and put my arms out towards the handles, pushing against them. They opened easily, and as I bursted forwards I didn't see a bright light like I was expecting. Through the door, I walked right into another dimly lit hallway. Another expectation was drowned in disappointment, and my eyes started to water as I finally admitted to myself that this was real, and that I was scared shitless. I sat down, scooting myself against the cold cement wall. Thousands of thoughts raced through my mind as I tried to hold back tears.

What seemed like forever later and I heard footsteps from coming from beside me. I looked over to two black leather boots that were partially covered by frayed jeans. I looked up to see Nero, but in a totally different outfit. If anything, he was now even more gorgeous than when he was wearing his suit. He wore a white tshirt with a black leather jacket over top. His hand reached down to meet mine as he pulled me up onto my feet. I stood about a head shorter than him, and that was while wearing thick sandals. As soon as I was on my feet, I took my hand from his and backed up. This man wasn't getting any thanks out of me.

"Come," he said, his voice deep and dark. I turned around to walk back the way he came from, expecting me to follow. I did, though. Something about it seemed a lot better than sitting in a dark hallway alone with my own thoughts and tears streaming down my face. I walked fast, catching up to him slowly. His strides were large, his legs being much longer than mine.

When we finally stopped, we were at another door. "This isn't going to take me into another creepy hallway, is it? I've had my fill of those for today." my voice was small and afraid. Nothing like I had wanted it to be. I couldn't show him my fear. He chuckled deep down inside of his throat, a bubble of laughter reaching his lips. He reached for the doorknob and before he could even touch the reflecting silver knob, it turned on its own and creaked open. He didn't seem surprised.

A voice came from within, "The list has been made."