The Client List

I'm a local. I grew up here in Melbourne, Australia and have lived here for the 18 years that God has given me. Every step I take on my homeland soil is never a fresh footprint; it just overlays the steps previously taken. My life is a boring melody, playing the same verses again and again. The only time the chorus begins playing is when I travel to other cities within my country, and even then the chorus remains the same.

My name is Oakley Silus. I have wavy blonde hair that reaches my ribs, ending in ringlet curls. My eyes are blue, and have a dark navy circle surrounding the iris' of the tropical ocean coloured abyss'. I have thin - but very distinct - lips, and they are coloured a light baby pink; a colour and shape that people often envied, though I never understood why. My skin is an olive-tan. The sun shone brightly when it came out, the UV rays tinting my freckled skin within hours.

My description of myself makes me seem as if I'm the modern Australian Barbie, but looking in the mirror, I never saw what was truly beautiful about myself. They say that people find themselves five times more attractive than they initially are; this worried me immensely. I could never be bothered to wear makeup, so - with my lack of trying - I have just kind of accepted the fact that I am an effortless loser.

I have two best friends. Odessa Smitt, and Ezra Moore. I've known them both for about as long as I can remember, because we grew up together. Each one of us was in foster care. We were given up as babies and put into group homes where our birth parents were hopeful that we would find better suited mommies and daddies. This didn't exactly happen. Dess grew up with 7 sisters and 3 brothers, all younger than her. Her foster mom was a heavy smoker, and relied on her to take care of the children at all hours of the day. I guess she just kept the kids so she could take the welfare checks for herself. Ezra was put into a home as an only child. When adopted, his foster parents were happily ready to start a life with a child. Who would have guessed that they would soon divorce and Ezra would be split between the two, one becoming a heroin addict and one an alcoholic. And then there was me. Thrown around from group home to group home, I finally emancipated myself at the age of 16. I was better off alone anyways.

Years passed after I emancipated, and all 3 of us were finally 18. When guaranteed jobs, I asked Ezra and Odessa to move in with me in my small apartment in a complex that barely a single person could pronounce the name of. This took a lot of convincing, but several court dates later, they were unpacked and on my couch flicking through all 3 of my channels. We were finally working things out the way they were meant to be. 

___________________________

[Authors Note] what do you guys thing of it so far? This first chapter is just to introduce you to Oakley, but for some fun I added two more characters to my creative mess. Can you predict where my story will lead? You'll soon find out.