Chapter 46-In The Genes

Felix noticed your descent from the tree and walked over to meet Peter and you and the bottom.

"Are they here yet?" Peter asked of him.

"Yes, they're awaiting you both on the other side of camp. I seated them by the fire pit." Felix answered.

"Thank you." You replied.

"It's no trouble at all, and I might I ask out of concern, what caused that bruise on you collarbone? A fall? Maybe training?" A deep blush crept up your neck and into your face. He stuck in tongue in his cheek and dragged his eyes from your eyes to Peter.

Crimson crept your neck and into your cheeks while Peter attempted to end the conversation, "Training."

"What kind of training?" He inquired with the same smirk plastered across his features.

"Not the kind that needs your concern." Peter forced a smile. "Now excuse us." Usually "excuse us" comes with the tone of a question, but Peter uses it as a polite-yet-inpolite command. He brought his arm around your shoulder and brushed some of your hair in front of the bruise. Then he slid his hand down to the small of your back and motioned to head over to the fire pit.

While walking over, your attention immediately when to the boy seated beside Hook. He was simply taking in the entire camp with wide eyes of complete amazement just as you did the time you saw the Lost Boy camp. His and your realm looked nothing quite like Neverland. Hook was much more attentive to Peter's and your approach.

The Captain stood and gave a friendly smile before he spoke, "Long time no see Jess. You've hardly changed at all. Of course that's a benefit of Neverland."

"Good to see you again Hook. You've hardly changed yourself. Been staying out of trouble?"

"Well it always seems to follow me, but for the most part, sure."

"Why don't I believe you?"

"Ah yes, the pirate thing."

"That's it."

He smirked and glanced behind him. "Well I know you aren't here for me. Allow me to introduce Henry." He stepped to the side and gestured for the boy to step forward. He was shorter than you but that was unlikely to last long unless he stayed in Neverland.

He gave a kind smile. "Hi."

When you saw your little brother head on, it was strange how quickly your throat tightened. "Hi." You returned with a strained voice.

Peter picked up on your discomfort. "Perhaps you two should have some time alone. Do you think the Lagoon would be a good place?" He sweetly offered.

You swallowed the lump in your throat before replying, "Yeah, that's be a good place. Let me show you, Henry."

He was tromped over and began to follow you. "Is it the lagoon with the mermaids?"

"No of course not."

"So it's true, mermaids are evil."

"Only some, the ones in the lagoon on the southern side of the island are only dangerous to those who they don't know."

"Are you friends with them?"

"They'd never hurt me, but I wouldn't say we particularly get along," You pursed your lips. "but they sure love Peter."

"Are they jealous of you?"

"That's one word to describe them, and a nicer one than I'd use." He laughed. His laugh reminded you of your own. Your laugh never seemed normal. It didn't sound like the other girls. It was odd, but Peter said he'd found it adorable, so that's all that mattered. You returned a smile and spoke again, "I have met a kind mermaid though."