Chapter 40-Haunting Past

--------------------------------------------------------------

Granny's Diner was fairly empty. Red leaned against the back counter near the register with a book in her hands trying to pass the time of a slow shift. One of the dwarves sat at the opposite side of the bar and mindlessly sipped on his cup of black coffee. The whole place would have been silent if Emma and Killian hadn't taken a seat in their usual booth. They casually slipped on their cups of cinnamon hot cocoa while conversing back and forth.

"This isn't what I had in mind when you said let's have coffee. This isn't even coffee." Killian commented.

"Are you complaining?" Emma raised an eyebrow mimicking his signature questioning expression.

"Of course not love, but I will have to show you what I had in mind someday." He threw an eyebrow up at the end of his statement. Emma simply shook her head. Killian took another drink before grabbing a small flask from his coat and added its contents to the mug.

"Seriously?"

"You have your concoctions Swan, and I have mine." He smiled then gestured with the bottle to her drink. Emma nodded and watched the amber liquid pour into her cocoa. Killian took another swig of his drink and set it down before saying, "So Savior," Emma gave him the same annoyed look she always did when he mentioned her title. He remained unphased as he continued, "you broke a curse, turned the Evil Queen to a hero, survived another realm, and defeated the Wicked Witch of the West all while winning yourself a pirate Captain. What's next?"

"A break." She sighed.

"Well earned, but one more question. What's next for you and the pirate?"

Emma moved her hands across the table and interlaced her hand with his while the other was placed on the brace of his hook. "How about I take you up on that offer of a second date?"

"I suppose that could be arranged." He smiled.

Emma leaned closer and spoke, "One condition, I get to pick the place this time."

"Alright, but one condition of my own, it's not going to be Granny's."

"Deal."

Hook brought Emma's hand up to him and placed a kiss on her knuckles. "Deal, m' lady." He sighed as he leaned back in his seat but kept her hand in his. "Some time ago, a young girl once told me that I needed to find my happy ending. One that didn't involve killing. I told her villains don't get happy endings, so she said stop being the villain and find someone who will make you a hero. Impossible a single person could change me, but she replied with the simple truth that the right person could." Killian looked up from Emma's hand to her eyes. "I now know what she meant."

Emma blushed and ran her thumb over Killian's hand. "Smart girl."

"She is and a brave one. She was willing to sacrifice herself for who she loved, no hesitation. Much like you Swan."

"What's her name?"

"Jess. She actually grew up very similar to you."

"Her parents are fairy tale characters?"

"Maybe not that similar, but she did grow up in and out of foster homes. Felt unwanted."

"What changed for her?" Emma said before taking a sip of cocoa.

"She was taken by a shadow to Neverland."

Emma choked on her drink; the cinnamon especially didn't help in her recovery. "Wow, Neverland. Makes sense why she knows you."

"Yeah. Of course we didn't exactly meet on friendly terms, but I'd say we worked though that...at least I hope she's forgiven me." The last bit he mumbled more to himself than Emma. Her eyebrow raised in suspicion, but she refrained from pressing the issue.

"How long ago did this all happen?"

"I'd say it was about three years ago, but she'd wouldn't look a day over 16, despite being nineteen." Emma's forehead crinkled like she was thinking about the age of the girl. "It's actually funny that I bring her up because one time she told me her mother's name was Emma. I told her I'd look out for any "Emmas" in my travels, but I don't even know where this land called Boston is. That's where she lived her whole life aside from the times she tried to runaway." Emma's face had been drained of color and her placid demeanor was gone."Every time I meet an Emma, I think of her." As he finished he looked again at Emma and immediately noticed the change in her expression. "Swan, what's wrong?"

"I have to go." She choked out before bolting from the booth and out of the dinner.

Hook was left stunned in the booth. In a split second he was up and running after her. "Swan!" He yelled as he whipped his head left and right looking for what direction she went. After a silent pause, Killian heard muffled crying around the corner to his left. He followed the sounds to find Emma hyperventilating as she clutched onto herself.

"Darling what's wrong?" Killian asked kindly while lifting her chin up to him.

"No one knows about her." She spoke with a trembling voice.

Hook's face turned from confusion to complete seriousness. "What do you mean by no one knows about her?"

"I didn't even tell Henry."

"Emma!" Hook said forcefully while gripping her shoulders. "Do you know the girl I'm speaking about?"

She couldn't look Killian in the eyes as she spoke, "19 years ago, when I was 15, I gave up a baby girl for adoption in Boston. It was just like what happened with Henry. It was a closed adoption. I didn't think I'd ever see her again; I was hoping to give her her best chance." She looked up at Hook. "They're going to be so angry I lied to them."

Hook ran his thumb under her eyes to wipe away the tears that had rolled down her cheeks. "Despite my viewpoint of the situation, I promise I won't tell your secret, and I won't press the matter."

"Henry will want to find her."

"It's your choice Swan."

"I always felt like something was missing in my life before I found my parents."

"If you think she's unhappy, I can assure you that she has found happiness on Neverland."

"How does that island make a person happy without going insane?"

Hook cleared his throat, careful to choose his next words, "You'll have to ask her, if you really want to know."

Emma wrapped her arms around Hook and buried her face into his chest. She could easily hear Hook's increased heartbeat. "I have to tell them."

Killian rested his cheek on top of Emma's head and told her, "I'll support you Swan. Any initial feelings of shocked will subside because they love you Swan." Emma looked up into Hook's blue eyes. He leaned down and presses a kiss to her forehead then warmly smiled to her. She supported herself on her toes as she leaned up to give Killian a chaste kiss. "Where might everyone be?'

"Probably at the apartment." Emma sighed.

"Alright." Hook said before interlocking their hands together. "Shall we?"

Emma sighed once again before nodding her head yes and started moving down the street towards home.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Vote?

Comments?

-

I love Captain Swan so much. I'm so happy I got to put them in the story. I like to draw Emma-Hook Peter-Jess comparisons.