Chapter 12 - "Don't make me say it."

Start from the beginning

"It's cute." I mumbled, trying not to yawn.

"You've already said that." She sighed. "Every dress I've tried on has been "cute". I brought you out today because I needed some advice and thoughts, and "cute" doesn't make it easier."

"It's because every single one looks cute on you." I said.

"Thanks, but I still need something more than just cute. I wanna look good on my date with Caleb."

"Yeah, I get that." I said and looked at the dresses that hung next to her. "I liked the blue one. Try it on again."

"Finally." She smiled and closed the curtains to get changed. She talked to me in the meantime but I barely even listened. I was just exhausted from last night, from when we were looking for Scarlett. I wondered if Niall was upset at me for some reason. He never replied to the message I sent when I was about to go to sleep. Maybe he was already back home, sleeping too. I guess I will find out that on Monday at school.

Brooke pushed the curtains aside and showed me the blue dress again. I nodded and faintly smiled.

"I like it." I said.

"Me too. Should I buy it?"

I nodded, and for some reason her smile tuned out a bit.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"What? Nothing."

"You seem sad."

"Just tired. It was a long night."

"What did you do?"

Damn it

"I was... um... at the hospital with mom all night."

Brooke frowned.

"Why?"

"She needed help." I tried.

"With what?"

I looked away.

"Alright. You don't wanna talk about it, I get it. Meet me by the check outs."

10 minutes later we were sitting in a cosy little café. I paid for both of our orders because Brooke had spent all of her money on clothes. She, as usual, asked how I possibly could afford so many things without being broke once. I had bought a pair of black Vans and ripped skinny jeans from Topshop, so she thought it was weird that I could pay for both her drink and mine. We shared a chocolate cake and took a table for two. I knew she was curious on what I did "at the hospital", but thankfully she didn't brought it up again. She was texting Caleb once in a while since they were going out on a date tonight. Katelyn is out of town with her family, Josephine and Miles are celebrating their anniversary, Zara is babysitting her siblings, Casper are going to a movie night with his friends along with Lucas, Maddie is working late tonight and Riley isn't an option, which means that I have to stay home tonight. I bet Franklin is going to leave the house and Scarlett will stay in her room. Maybe I could crash the movie night Casper and Lucas is going to, because I don't really feel like being alone tonight.

"Are you going to Niall's party next weekend?" Brooke asked and put down her phone.

"I don't know. Are you?"

"Probably. The others are going, so..."

"And the entire school." I sighed. "You know I don't really like being around people."

"But you did great at his last party!" She encouraged me. "And this time all of us will be there to keep an eye on you."

"True..."