2.4 ADELAIDE

I never totally go back to sleep after Cade and Tristen leave. I doze for a little longer, but then open my eyes at the delicious realization that I am in Cade's bed. Last night comes to me in a montage of lips and flesh and sounds that sends a thrill down my spine and a rush of heated desire to my pelvis. There was no self-consciousness on my part, which is unusual for me. I am hyper aware, usually, of my soft belly that carried a baby and my stretch marks. But he treated my body like a temple. A desirous thing of beauty. And his body...my God. His hands on me, fingers in me, mouth lingering places I've never let anyone taste; the seduction of his flesh thrusting into mine making my toes curl. The expression in his eyes as he entered me the first time, gentle and tender in spite of the animal hunger we were driven by. I felt...worshiped. No man has ever made me feel as if he were the lucky one. Like I was the prize. The tears I shed as we climaxed nearly in unison...they were real.

Can I have fallen in love with a man I barely know? Or am I just completely overcome with desire and gratitude?

I have never been in love. But I imagine the start of it feels something like this: fondness, attraction, adoration, respect.

I'm not in love with Cade Harrison. But I think I am falling. And I think he is, too.

After the police questioned me, took he and Shane away, I had to go. I couldn't stay. Cade had thrown himself between me and the proverbial bullet twice now. Not only had Shane hurt him, Cade had gotten himself arrested for his efforts. And Tristen had seen it all.

I filed my restraining order with the police in my living room. Then, I started to pack. Everything I could fit into the two suitcases and two duffels we owned. Which was almost everything anyway. All of Tristen's clothes, most of mine. Toiletries, pictures, the most important of his toys. I'd wiped tears from my son's face and told him we wouldn't be coming back. He touched my bruised face, sniffled, and said,

"Good."

I was waiting for a cab, my car being in Shane's name, to take me to a motel for the time being when Oliver and another of Cade's friends pulled up behind Cade's Lexus. I got up to hide in the house, too embarrassed to have one of Cade's friends eve see me, when he called my name. I froze, ready for him to come down on me like a ton of bricks for leading Cade on, for being such a slut.

Instead, he jogged over and held out his hand, introduced himself. Winced at the marks on my face.

"You're leaving?" He motioned to our bags, winked at Tristen who was hiding behind my legs.

"I can't stay. I don't want to stay. I'm sorry Cade got hurt because of me."

"Pffft. Cade is fine. Trust me on that. Where will you go?" I tilted my head to the side, wondering at his curiosity.

"A motel. I'll figure something out." He shook his head at that.

"No way. Cade will kill me if I let that happen." He bent, grabbed two of our bags, and sauntered toward Cade's car.

"Wait a minute! What are you-?" He popped the trunk and put the bags inside.

"If you're comfortable with it, Cade has the space. He'd insist, if he were here."

"Oh, no!" I said, mortified. "I can't impose like that. He's done enough!"

"Nonsense. I'm serious. Cade will never forgive me if I drive off and leave you here. You'll be doing me a favor." He blinked pretty brown eyes at me. He was handsome in his own right, dark eyes, blonde hair with a red tint, good bone structure. No where near as devastatingly handsome as Cade...but I may be biased.

In the end, I accepted the offer even though I knew it to be foolhardy.

And I am so glad I did.