1.2 CADE

"I love you for closing tonight," Mira says as she breezes by my bar to put her stuff in Anthony's office. I place the plastic tub of ice I have balanced on my shoulder down on the counter top.

"You owe me!" She turns and blows me a kiss dressed in her own black dress shirt and slacks.

"You bet I do!" she agrees.

Benny, our DJ, is up on the stage flipping through CDs. Greg brings me another bin of ice so I dump the first and exchange empty for full. It's 5:30. We open in half an hour. But it will be mostly dead until 8 or so. I take time setting up my bar. I don't like running out of the top sellers, though Greg will do several beer and ice runs for me tonight no matter how well I stock. Millennium is one of the busiest clubs on Clematis and Friday and Saturday are money makers. I didn't close last night so was able to get home to Eliza before midnight. Tonight's the long haul. I'll make good cash, not that it matters, and pay for it tomorrow by sleeping until at least noon. Even though she's working, I expect my girl to drop in for a bit. She won't stay til close but she'll stay for an hour or two. She never seems bothered or upset by my late-blooming ambition. She just supports me no matter what. I love the way she loves me.

I wasn't looking for a girlfriend four years ago. Not really. She had caught my eye and I thought it might be fun to get to know her. I saw this stunning woman perched on the edge of Alexander's sofa all smoky-eyed, ruby-lipped, waves of nearly ink hair flowing around her bared shoulders. I was taken by her. But when she looked up and our eyes met, I swear to God I felt it all the way to my toes. It was like fate had tapped me on the shoulder and whispered, "She's the one."

I loved her after that night. After hours of talking and laughing. Us, sitting on Alexander's back patio long after everyone had passed out or gone home. We just had so much to SAY. Her laugh was like sunlight, a shimmer of gold. It lifted me. She was so full of expression. Using her hands when she spoke, getting to her feet when she was particularly excited about a subject. We liked the same movies, the same music. We both believed in aliens, ghosts, the after life, climate change.

Eliza and I watched the sun come up on November first. And by our first official date two days later, I felt like I'd gone without air before she entered my life. Love, it has that effect.

This is how it happens, love at first sight. It blindsides you and knocks the wind out of you and makes you see stars- and you're so fucking GLAD to be battered by it. She was exactly my type.

She still is.

I reach into my pocket to text her and see I've let my battery die. I'll plug it into Anthony's long row of chargers connected to a power board on his desk in the office after I'm done stocking the bar.

Mira arrives and helps out. She's tall and leggy with really curly short blonde hair. She's got a sass about her that the guy customers love. I have been told all I have to do to get tips is flash my smile. Which is ridiculous. I have regulars. FEMALE regulars. Even that doesn't bother Eliza. She knows I only have eyes for her. It's been true from the day we met. I've had countless women slide me their numbers on a bar napkin, even the ones that have seen me with Eliza. Even with Eliza SITTING in front of me. I always smile, flattered, but shrug and shake my head at their buzzed, torrid hopefulness. I can't wait to get a wedding ring on my finger so I can point at it. With meaning.

Once I'm done with the bar set-up it's close to open so I go pee and leave my phone with two others charging on Anthony's desk in his locked office. I sincerely like the people I work with so I'm not even vaguely worried someone will snag it. Anthony, the manager, whistles in talking on his own phone, waves at me. I wave back and hop over the bar. Three middle aged women, one in a tshirt that reads "Bride", are already perched on stools. They grin widely when they see me.